The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I did this past season in a nomex head cover, helmet (of course), gloves and shoes. I have a 3 layer Sparco suit that I wore at the beginning of the season (spring) but as temps went up it was just too hot to wear so I was back to jeans and cotton long sleeve. I have my eye on the Sparco RS-4 Victory suit which is a single layer suit that is equivalent to a 3-layer....but not cheap unfortunately. Once I get that one I would likely wear it every track session. Now that I have 6-points I am using a HANS, actually I got the new Schroth SHR flex which is great b/c it clears any seat nicely without the interference issues that plague the original HANS design.

In the past year I've seen a couple crashes and one fire. That was in DE events so it can happen anywhere. IMO you can never have too much safety equipment, regardless of the level you are at.
The new lightweight breathable suits are wonderful.
I wear an Alpinestars GP Tech suit, which is Ultralight, breathable, FIA and SFI Certified. It has the protection of the old heavy suits, but is MUCH more comfortable to wear.
Expensive investment, but will last for years.
I recently drove in an Endurance Race at Road America, with 1 hour plus driver stints, and was perfectly comfortable in it the whole time, in a closed car.
BTW, we had 2 major crashes bringing out the safety car for several laps.

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
The new lightweight breathable suits are wonderful.
I wear an Alpinestars GP Tech suit, which is Ultralight, breathable, FIA and SFI Certified. It has the protection of the old heavy suits, but is MUCH more comfortable to wear.
Expensive investment, but will last for years.
I recently drove in an Endurance Race at Road America, with 1 hour plus driver stints, and was perfectly comfortable in it the whole time, in a closed car.
BTW, we had 2 major crashes bringing out the safety car for several laps.
Cool I'll have to check out that Alpine Stars suit.

Sent from my Samsung GS7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
*cough* Speed Ventures *cough*
Their nickname isn't Speed Cowboys without reason.
Interesting, when they came to COTA I thought they were the safest of all the groups that I have ran with. All of the drivers seemed to have their act together, and the open race style passing made things run much smoother. Just one incident that weekend where a BMW drove into the inside wall on 19, he was kind of a tool I guess based on the video of the indident.

You can rewind and watch, he clearly should have come in for a break. That is me in the black Exige.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
.. Just one incident that weekend where a BMW drove into the inside wall on 19, he was kind of a tool I guess based on the video of the indident...

You can rewind and watch, he clearly should have come in for a break...
Wow, small world and interesting to see the video. I have met him at autocross, and although I don't know him well by any means, he does not seem like a tool to me. I liked his M3, but at least he wasn't injured. He was in a Cayman at a recent cold and wet December autocross and he drove well. He ended up with the fastest raw time of the day on his last run, just as it started to dry out.

Not having much road course experience myself, forgive me if it seems dumb but would you comment more on why he should have come in for a break? Because of the back end getting loose, then him running off near the Porsche, perhaps his concentration was just not where it should have been?

Also what went wrong? Was he just too aggressive on the bumpers, and it upset the car? Or was it too much throttle too quickly on the corner exit?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Wow, small world and interesting to see the video. I have met him at autocross, and although I don't know him well by any means, he does not seem like a tool to me. I liked his M3, but at least he wasn't injured. He was in a Cayman at a recent cold and wet December autocross and he drove well. He ended up with the fastest raw time of the day on his last run, just as it started to dry out.

Not having much road course experience myself, forgive me if it seems dumb but would you comment more on why he should have come in for a break? Because of the back end getting loose, then him running off near the Porsche, perhaps his concentration was just not where it should have been?

Also what went wrong? Was he just too aggressive on the bumpers, and it upset the car? Or was it too much throttle too quickly on the corner exit?
I know myself that if I make that many mistakes in a lap I am way overextended.

Losing it at that point in 6 is just the result of getting on too much power too fast, but why did it take so many tries to catch it, add power slowly, feel it slip lift a little and correct and it doesnt need to be a huge deal. He just stayed in the power over the curb and never lifted a little when it got hairy. Watch the throttle graph. Then when he goes off at 11 it is the result of him just following the car in front of him, he missed the braking point by like 50 feet...

Lastly when he does go off at 19 he should have backed off and driven into the giant runoff field IMO, but it looks like he tries to save the "drift" after it is way too late. When I get loose there I just let it carry me over the "curb" there is no punishment for doing so.

I don't know the guy and tool is probably too harsh of a word, maybe a $20K bmw is like $100 to him and he doesn't care, but it obvious the incident could have been avoided.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts