The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im bored. its friday. so lets stir things up. i dont understand the whole gay marriage and i really dont care one way or the other, but it seems to me its fairly cut and dry. it seems to me that marriage is either a religous or civil "event". if it is a religous event then the gvmnt cant intervene whether you marry someone of the same sex or species. i mean if its ok with your particular religion marry a goat they cant do anything. if its a civil event then they have already passed laws against discriminating against people based on sexual orientation. so why is it filling so much of my paper?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I agree with you completely - do what you want in the privacy of your own home and just leave me out of it - as long as they don't cost me extra tax money over and above any "standard" man/woman married couple; don't produce offspring that I have to support (man/sheep marriages or woman/gorilla); they don't get any special treatment that I don't get - you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Yeah - give the gays the opportunity to be as miserable as the rest of us! :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
hogfan said:
so why is it filling so much of my paper?
Because the reuplican party has lots of money to keep this alive in the media. Election politics is all about wedge issues. Divide the democratic party and garner their votes on this issue alone.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by hogfan
if it is a religous event then the gvmnt cant intervene whether you marry someone of the same sex or species. i mean if its ok with your particular religion marry a goat they cant do anything. if its a civil event then they have already passed laws against discriminating against people based on sexual orientation. so why is it filling so much of my paper?
You're on the right track here, but I'd take it a half-step further. The government has no business being involved in the "institution" of marriage. Marriage is a religious institution, period. Separation of church and state means that the government simply can't be inolved, let alone support the church's homophobic stance.

The government should only be sanctioning civil unions, and they should be available to anyone who wants them, gay or straight.

Churches are free to conduct separate ceremonies for marriage, and as far as I'm concerned, they can set any friggin rules they want, cause -- when it comes to religion -- there are plenty of choices. However, if they choose to discriminate, then they shouldn't be entitled to tax breaks. (Heck, they shouldn't be entitled to tax breaks anyway, but that's a whole other issue.)

I never cease to be amazed or amused by people who claim gay marriage destroys the "sacred institution" of marriage. Usually, those are the biggest hypocrites -- people who've been married 2 or 3 times, with maybe an annullment or 2 thrown into the mix. What a joke.

And they've never been able to explain to me why my getting married has one iota of impact on the "sanctity" of marriage. Just show me one concrete, substantive manner in which it impacts someone else's marriage. It's easy to spout off about "destroying the sanctity", but what the heck does that mean, when you get right down to it.

The religious majority in this country has a history of violating the principle of separation of church and state. Why? Because they can. Then, they try to tell you it's not religious at all. ("Christmas decorations on federal property a violation of church and state? Oh, no. It's not really a religious display." "Blue laws aren't religious -- we just want a day when families can be together, and we just picked Sunday at random." Yeah, right.) If I tried to impose my Jewish beliefs on the majority, they'd have a cow.

As for the bible opposing gay marriage, I tell them:

- That's YOUR bible, not mine. And your rights end at my doorstep.
- At one time, the bible was also interpreted to support slavery and segragation. Still believe in that?

Besides, gay marriage has been legal in some European countries for years, and it's been a big non-issue.

Bottom line: opposing gay marriage is just another way for people of low self-esteem to try to put down others, to make themselves feel superior. It's nothing but bigotry and hatred, masked in religion.

OK, a show of hands -- how many people have I offended? :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
pinmagic said:
... Marriage is a religious institution, period.
By that statement, you argue that atheists can't be married.

Marriage is a social institution, not religious. Religious institutions have historically tried to control marriage as a way of controlling society (gasp). (How's that for stirring the pot?)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well I think that a very, very important part of Marriage is that it promotes a stable long term relationship more suitable for children to be raised within. Our offspring take a long time to mature and become self sufficient compared to other mammals. It just makes sense.

If other people combinations are desired by those parties who prefer that sort of thing, fine, but it's not really a Marriage it's a different kind of Union essentially. If there are some unfair tax or money or health care aspects in the G.M. issue this can be resolved without ditluting our already weak Marriage situation in this country. Being FOR Marriage as most have understood it for recorded Human history is not the same as being AGAINST those with different lifestyles or preferences or choices.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Marrage is meaningless. 80% of those that make such a 'commitment' are liers (or they had their fingers crossed) :)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
transio said:
MAWWAGE. Mawwage is what bwings us togethah today.
For those who don't know... this is a Princess Bride quote intended to bring general levity to the discussion, not a shot at gays in any way. I just realized that in writing, the speech impediment of the character could appear as intended to "sound gay."

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My contribuition to the Gay Marriage- Personalized License Plate Thread-

This is the new NJ State License Plate- Here is McGreevys

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Stan said:
Well I think that a very, very important part of Marriage is that it promotes a stable long term relationship more suitable for children to be raised within. Our offspring take a long time to mature and become self sufficient compared to other mammals. It just makes sense.

If other people combinations are desired by those parties who prefer that sort of thing, fine, but it's not really a Marriage it's a different kind of Union essentially. If there are some unfair tax or money or health care aspects in the G.M. issue this can be resolved without ditluting our already weak Marriage situation in this country. Being FOR Marriage as most have understood it for recorded Human history is not the same as being AGAINST those with different lifestyles or preferences or choices.
This concept doesn't hold water because nowadays 50% of marriages end in divorce and many "families" in fact are not at all stable long term relationships. And some of us get married with no intention of having children. And for you religious zealots out there, marriage in fact is a social institution for some of us, having absolutely no religious connotations.

I grew up in San Francisco and have always had male and female friends of the gay persuasion. I can understand and support their desire to formally commit to each other in marriage and to enjoy the social benefits (health care, property ownership, inheritance, etc.) associated with marriage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts