The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Spree,

I've got a set I put on my 89 Esprit. I think they work great. I've been able to fine tune them to completely dial out the factory understeer which is built in on the factory OEM shocks. Also can adjust the ride height as needed.
The dampening range is much better than what is offered on some of the other brands.
I had one shock go out just after I got it and Marcus of P.U.K. in Germany had the replacement shipped express at no cost to me.
I installed the dampers in '04' and the ride quality now is still as good as new with quite a bit of mileage gone by. The shocks are not leaking and continue to perform as needed.
If you are planning on installing a set you will also need to replace the coils as the stock units will not work with the GAZ. I went with the next to highest performance rating but would suggest you go one or two levels down as the ride may be a bit harsh for your liking. I'm used to track car suspensions so it does not bother me.
If you have any more questions feel free to email me. Hope this is of some help. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I put a set on an S4 a couple of years ago and I would rate them as just "ok". The initial spring setup they provided was terrible and the car was like riding in a buckboard no matter what the settings. I eventually refitted the stock springs which required making some custom centering bushings for the perches. In the end the ride and handling was acceptable but not as good as oem.

They are definitely not plug n' play and if you don't mind spending a lot of time trying to get them adjusted and the correct spring combination they may be fine for you.

I did not want a track car suspension, just wanted it to handle like it was intended to and have a nice feeling ride for everyday driving as close to oem as possible.

There are a lot of guys using aftermarket dampers/springs and raving about how they are so much better than the worn out oem ones they replaced but they really have no frame of reference as to what the car should actually feel like as designed.

If you ever have a chance to drive an Esprit (particularly a V8) with a good oem setup, it really is hard to beat the Lotus design for everyday use.

If you want a track car you may be able to come up with a better setup but it will require a lot of time, money and trial and error... JMHO

Jim

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the detailed replies; the input was very valuable. They sound like a terrific performance damper!
I'm looking for a "street ride" feel so I'll probably take a pass on Gaz and keep looking. Maybe the Bilsteins for a more OEM feel.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure I'm going with a standard set of Bilstein, Eibachs from SJ

I've heard SJ has authentic OEM style and the OEM balance and ride is quite refined. And the car can be lowered a notch by using a different mounting position (groove?).

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Good choice. Just set them at the lowest setting to begin with and you'll be happy.

You might check with JAE or RD Enterprises here for a price comparison although SJ does have good pricing on a lot of items even with the international shipping.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Pretty sure I'm going with a standard set of Bilstein, Eibachs from SJ

I've heard SJ has authentic OEM style and the OEM balance and ride is quite refined. And the car can be lowered a notch by using a different mounting position (groove?).

Thanks again
Steve just sold me a set of Protechs. They are in and feel great to me for regular street driving.

Steve said the Bilsteins are a lot more money for not a lot better ride.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts