The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting a couple thousand miles on my new to me Evora, I am even more infatuated with it. That said I can't deal with the mushy shift feel any longer. I have a 2010, so I know there are different cables that provide some improvement, but I want to make sure that when I dive into it I get a great return.

What is the ultimate solution that provides the best/shortest shift? I have seen a few options such as this
https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/shiftr111-shifter-assembly-lotus-evora-2009/

but there is little information about the results.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
IMO, the Hamburg method offers far and away the best bang for the buck. Shortens the throw by inches and gives a more solid feel on fore-aft shift lever movements. I can't imagine going back to an Evora without it, frankly -- don't know how you guys can stand the mile-long stock throw.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
The Hamburg short-throw mod is awesome, but I worry that drilling a hole in the arm would weaken it. Obviously that hasn't been the case, or at least if it has, it hasn't been reported. But it would be neat if someone made a bracket that clamped over the stock arm and had the ball mounted on it. Then it's 100% reversible, and any potential weakness would be external to the OEM part.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I cut and welded mine, just because it looked tidier. But I have to say that I would have no concerns whatsoever about drilling a small hole in it. Look at the thickness of it (to the right of the first photo in the linked thread). A whole lot of other stuff in the shift mechanism would break long before that arm ever would.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the Isokinetic shifter in mine. I’d recommend getting directly from them actually. I also replaced the cables and the difference is like night and day.

Pros: great solid feel, shift knob feels much better, more precise shifts

Cons: the leather gaiter doesn’t fit all that well but you get used to it. There are tiny adjustment nuts for the reverse lockout which have to be adjusted from time to time as the cable stretches a bit so it’s best not to modify the gaiter as you need access. It also took a week or so to get used to the shift position as it centers a bit farther to the right

IMHO the best modification for the Evora you can do. No “blue ball syndrome” to ever worry about again

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lotus did work on the 400 shifter mechanism to make it better, I contemplated swapping one in - isn't exactly a bolt in as the mount is slightly different, but wouldn't be that hard to adapt. But cost isn't cheap either.

Also VSA did a run of heim joint ends to replace the cable ends where they attach to the tranny. I haven't had time to put mine on yet so not sure how big of a difference it makes

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lotus did work on the 400 shifter mechanism to make it better, I contemplated swapping one in - isn't exactly a bolt in as the mount is slightly different, but wouldn't be that hard to adapt. But cost isn't cheap either.

Also VSA did a run of heim joint ends to replace the cable ends where they attach to the tranny. I haven't had time to put mine on yet so not sure how big of a difference it makes
The 400 change isn't just the front mech. The cables and the direction of operation are different with one now coming in from below, rather than both over the top.

On the S1, the year model 12 onwards cables, bushing the cable ends and most importantly the correct crossgate adjustment, make all the difference. It's a simple system but if all of the slack is taken out it performs well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts