The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that when shifting into 3rd, and occasionally other gears, it does not shift in buttery smooth. Without knowing the technical difference between crunch and grind, it feels like a crunch. Basically there is resistance that I have to push past. It doesn't make any noise other than a slight metallic noise when pushing past the resistance.

I find this most often occurs when shifting at higher RPMs. When shifting at 2-3k RPM, it occurs much left often.

Since I bought the car used I'm not sure what tranny fluid it has but I'm thinking about trying Redline MT-90. Other than that, how concerned should I be about my tranny?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I find that when shifting into 3rd, and occasionally other gears, it does not shift in buttery smooth. Without knowing the technical difference between crunch and grind, it feels like a crunch. Basically there is resistance that I have to push past. It doesn't make any noise other than a slight metallic noise when pushing past the resistance.

I find this most often occurs when shifting at higher RPMs. When shifting at 2-3k RPM, it occurs much left often.

Since I bought the car used I'm not sure what tranny fluid it has but I'm thinking about trying Redline MT-90. Other than that, how concerned should I be about my tranny?

Thanks.
Definitely try the MT-90 first, that has smoothed the shifting for a lot of people.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
MT-90.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Thanks.
I suggest you also check out the threads in LT about the LETSLA replacement gear shift linkage. It made a huge improvement to the shift feel on my car.:shift:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cross gate cable is out of adjustment or is stretched and getting ready to break would be my guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts