The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been reading on some the stuff you have been talking about with regards to the chatter in the gearbox.

I still am not able to find out whether this is normal or something is faulty?

Is it normal for the chatter in the 1st and 2nd gears? It also comes if I am at 4th or 3rd gear at very low rpms of about 2k below and I accelerate.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It has been mentioned before but I do not really hear it in mine. I don't remember the first 600 miles as they were the most painful time in most recent memory baby'ing the most fun car I have ever driven so...

Let us know if it resolves its self.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
They used an "adapter" to mate the Avenis tranny with the toyota motor and it appears that either that adapter or the throwout bearings are the issue. It is very easy to engage our clutches at overly low rpms due to the decent torque of the motor off idle and that is when it is at its worst. It was flawless when i had it at the track if that is any comfort to you. I try to engage at 1500rpms or more to minimize it. It is MUCH less frequent than it used to be as I have 4000+ miles now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same sound on my Evora 2009 gearbox (long one). My dealer told me it's normal.
In fact, you have to be very worried if one day the gearbox stick and the speed pedal start to vibrate a lot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep mine did this too. Much more and much louder at first but havent heard it really in a long time now that I have miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just to add... my MY12 S has the exact same noise.
Below 2K revs there's chatter in gears 1 - 4. Above that there's no noise.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Drive my car today thinking about this. So far I don't hear any such chattering in any gear at any point during my drive...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts