The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...

I currently have a single SAS drive running off an LSI SAS controller.

I have a duplicate SAS hard drive and a new Adaptec SAS controller with RAID capabilities

I want to convert my existing hard drive data (OS, applications, data, etc.) to RAID0, for speed.

What I tried to do was...

1. Mirror the existing drive using Norton Ghost to an SATA drive off the motherboard.
2. Reboot Windows using only the SATA drive.
3. Remove LSI SAS controller
4. Install Adaptec controller and reboot windows and install new Windows drivers for controller
5. Install both drives to new Adaptec controller, and configure as RAID0
6. Mirror SATA drive to new RAID0 partition
7. Reboot Windows off of RAID0

I failed at step 2. The mirroring worked fine from Ghost. Windows started to boot, but hung before it prompted you for user and password.

I tried some DOS disk duplication programs (Apricorn and one other), but both failed to recognize LSDI SAS controller (it only showed the SATA drive).

I'd rather not reinstall everything from scratch as it would take me a LONG time (days)...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
This does sound weird since you were able to get the machine to boot and it just froze prior to logging in. Can you start in safe mode? Is the LSI controller still in place? How about removing that as well as maybe the drivers are getting loaded and it's causing the crash because the drive isn't connected?

Okay...

I currently have a single SAS drive running off an LSI SAS controller.

I have a duplicate SAS hard drive and a new Adaptec SAS controller with RAID capabilities

I want to convert my existing hard drive data (OS, applications, data, etc.) to RAID0, for speed.

What I tried to do was...

1. Mirror the existing drive using Norton Ghost to an SATA drive off the motherboard.
2. Reboot Windows using only the SATA drive.
3. Remove LSI SAS controller
4. Install Adaptec controller and reboot windows and install new Windows drivers for controller
5. Install both drives to new Adaptec controller, and configure as RAID0
6. Mirror SATA drive to new RAID0 partition
7. Reboot Windows off of RAID0

I failed at step 2. The mirroring worked fine from Ghost. Windows started to boot, but hung before it prompted you for user and password.

I tried some DOS disk duplication programs (Apricorn and one other), but both failed to recognize LSDI SAS controller (it only showed the SATA drive).

I'd rather not reinstall everything from scratch as it would take me a LONG time (days)...

Any ideas?

·
Vendor
3,273 Posts
There needs to be a BIOS patch for the Raid controller to be recognized. Generally the cards have a boot ROM for this, then disable standard SATA controller so the RAID controller will boot.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
He hasn't even gotten to that part. He went from an external controller card back to probably the built in SATA support. Check the BIOS to make sure the SATA isn't configured as RAID.

There needs to be a BIOS patch for the Raid controller to be recognized. Generally the cards have a boot ROM for this, then disable standard SATA controller so the RAID controller will boot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts