The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Plays heavy metal, designs heavy cars.

A lot of life’s great things begin with fear and hope. Will deff be interesting.

Reactions: Europa TC

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
I took a look at designs with his name on them before commenting. I don't hate the look of what I see, but I think it lacks distinction. At least he appears to have avoided the worst of retreading old design cues to identify the marque instead of creating and promoting a consistent design language from this century.

That said, I suspect Geely wanted someone from the UK to allay fears of 'Chinese mass invasion' (amongst their Chinese potential consumers as much as anybody) diluting the 'britishness' of the brand and he was the highest profile UK-native car designer they could poach.

You don't see a lot of distinctive design at the price point Jaguar competes at. That said, they're don't seem to be trying to create a distinctive visual metaphor beyond poaching the wire grille from generations of Bentley Mulsannes.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that we get bland and blobby for new Lotuses. Oh well, at least his cars aren't actually ugly...providing he didn't have anything to do with the S type, which was awful.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A talented artist/designer knows how to reach their target audience. I wouldn't hold too much weight on his designs for Jaguar, he would have had pressure to design for Jags base client...

Stay hopeful

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The Chinese makes have been hiring away top auto design talent. I think this is good news for all of us. Geeley appear to be serious so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
After reading an interview with Steve Crijns, I was reminded of something: Crijns is Belgian, and yet is responsible for a couple of the more distinctive and image-shifting desgins for Lotus in the last 20 years. Probably worth mentioning that the iconic Esprit is a Guigiaro design, as well.

I suspect Crijns was not on the market for Geely and is quite happy at McLaren. But I wonder if, in searching for a 'British' designer, they didn't narrow their focus too much.

In any case, Lotuses have always been svelte. Geely has made it quite clear that they want a Lotus-branded SUV to complete with Cayennes, etc. I'm not sure how you can make a svelte jacked up station wagon. Seems like Burgess may have been handed an impossible task.

·
Supporting Vendor
427 Posts
I'm quite optimistic. Let's glance at a project shelved from the makes of Jaguar AND Williams. Several key personnel who are now with Lotus and/or working closely with Lotus. Burgess also worked directly with Ian Callum who was head of design for the C-X75 project.

https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/22187/l...ed-engineering-announce-technical-partnership

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15112138/jaguar-c-x75-supercar-concept-prototype-drive-review/

https://www.just-auto.com/interview/williams-revs-up-the-ev-market_id184006.aspx

Paul Newsome left Lotus Cars under Bahar and was once Director of Engineering. So many great possibilities! It's going to take time, patience, and money. All appendages are crossed! Excited for the future!

-Brian

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I'm quite optimistic. Let's glance at a project shelved from the makes of Jaguar AND Williams. Several key personnel who are now with Lotus and/or working closely with Lotus. Burgess also worked directly with Ian Callum who was head of design for the C-X75 project.
Yes, that does look more like something that could be a Lotus. Still not sure how to make a station wagon look like a Lotus, though.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
The patent pix of the crossover look as good as the Macan. IMHO
No argument. But do you think about fun on that twisty canyon road when you look at a Macan?

Lotus is a minority brand with fading relevance in the marketplace worldwide. Unless it's just as good (and I admit 'as good' is a complex concept) and cheaper than a Macan, why wouldn't the customer just buy a Macan instead if they're in the market for an overpriced Audi Q5?

·
Supporting Vendor
427 Posts
No argument. But do you think about fun on that twisty canyon road when you look at a Macan?

Lotus is a minority brand with fading relevance in the marketplace worldwide. Unless it's just as good (and I admit 'as good' is a complex concept) and cheaper than a Macan, why wouldn't the customer just buy a Macan instead if they're in the market for an overpriced Audi Q5?
I do think the Macan is a sharp vehicle. Their sales figures also prove it's sharp in the eyes of their customers. If you've driven a GTS or Turbo, they can easily make you smile and they stick pretty well too. If Lotus gets the SUV right and it handles well, and build quality is improved so much that we all are blown away by it, then it should sell 'well'. A great example is the Fiat Stelvio How many of your friends own one? One maybe two? How many friends do you know with a Quadrifoglio? At $80k there's many other product they'll be cross market/price shopping. Only folks I know who own one worship Alfa and the other owner has ties to the family who owns the dealer.

My hope is that the new Lotus Utility Vehicle (LUV) will come well equipped with ample power, exceed our expectations in the handling department, and be priced below the Macan GTS. The patent drawings of the exterior and motor1 mock images look fantastic. Even the interior patent drawings look great. We have several interested in the product already and I think it will be a great asset for the brand! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
They will cost more, I hope. For that we get more and have the exclusivity.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
As long as we DO "get more". If the only benefit of costing more is exclusivity then Houston, we will have a problem.
I guess it depends. When we got the Evora I was fine to pay another 10% to never see another one like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts