The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Geely have a (10%?) stake in Benz too... the engine / DCT from the AMG A45 would make a good sports car drivetrain in 2WD format, mid mounted.

AMG already supply drivetrains to 3rd party manufacturers (Pagani, Aston), so why not Lotus too ?

Do Geely / Volvo make any drivetrain currently that would suit a Lotus sports car ?

After decades of Lotus 'mend & make-do' it would be great if the next gen cars have something truly ideal of the job, ideally ahead of the curve.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
748 Posts
Volvo's standard turbo inline four makes about 250 HP and is all aluminum. I couldn't find a weight for the thing anywhere, though. Might do for an Elise/Exige, but not enough oomph for an Evora, and that's presuming the engine isn't too heavy for the power it makes.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Volvo's standard turbo inline four makes about 250 HP and is all aluminum. I couldn't find a weight for the thing anywhere, though. Might do for an Elise/Exige, but not enough oomph for an Evora, and that's presuming the engine isn't too heavy for the power it makes.
From the article: "Volvo’s current 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit offers 303hp in its present guise, and Lotus has proven itself adept at dragging better performance from formerly humdrum engines."

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
All the major manufacturers are consolidating their engine development organizations. This makes plenty of sense for Geely and should help all their collective brands weather the latest expected downturn in auto sales. The electrification efforts going on at Polestar/Volvo should also cross over into Lotus. I remain bullish about Lotus prospects under Geely...:)

·
Loves to talk
1,055 Posts
I'm bullish too, but I see nothing in the inventory they currently have to replace the Evora's lump. Hopefully that's coming....and hopefully it includes port AND direct injection for those of us who don't want to be forced to catch cans on a street car. Or, they could go DI and include the catch cans. One of my fave features of the Toyota is that unlike a direct injection unit, coking/carbon buildup is not such a big problem.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
748 Posts
I'm bullish too, but I see nothing in the inventory they currently have to replace the Evora's lump.
Yes, their highest output native engine right now is a turboed 2L 4 cyl. The practical upper limit to power output with good reliability is probably in the 250-300 HP range on the street. That engine just isn't going to do the job as a powerplant for an Evora, although (if small/light enough) it might work for the next Elige, and for the 'in between' car I've seen mention of. This is going to require a bigger engine, which is a lot of development cost, unless they go hybrid, and get the burst performance out of a battery pack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"From the article: "Volvo’s current 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit offers 303hp in its present guise"

And up to 362hp in the 2017-8 Polestar engineered S60/V60, which is approaching Evora territory. Throw on a small electric motor (like the 2020 S60/V60 Polestars) and you can move pretty well...though maybe not lap after lap depending on battery depletion and recharge.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Volvo had a Yamaha built V8 in the lineup recently - it sounded fantastic, BTW.

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
Waiting patiently for the future. 15 yrs with 2ZZ and 2GFR motors with no catch cans.....never burned any oil. I agree with the wise choice to stay away from 1st gen DI motors!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts