The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current (retro) body style that is. Anyone know anything about them? A colleague of mine purchased the Shelby version. Looks and sounds pretty damn good. Kinda got a hankering for some old-school American iron (to replace the S2000). I know there are alot of negative opinions about them here, but I'm interested in actual experiences/I] with them.
fire away!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Obviously they look great. I had an opportunity to drive one and was more impressed than I thought I would be. If you like the looks of the car, you really should drive one. For every positive comment you get, you will also get a vague, pointless negative comment in Lotus Talk about the car. Certain people have made a full time committment to ripping apart any car that comes up for discussion. Don't let that curtail your excitement about the Mustang, because these same people often have never even driven the car that they have an expert opinion on nor have they ever even seen the car in person in some cases. :rolleyes: The ignore function in Lotus Talk handles these little trolls very well. :thwack:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I rented a Shelby from Hertz for a few days and was very disappointed in it. Other than the exhaust note and overall level of acceleration, I can't say much positive about it. The auto transmission was terrible, the interior was cheap and shoddy, the live axle jumped around on anything other than a smooth road and the steering was straight out of a Crown Vic (I rent alot of Fords from Hertz). It felt like a modern version of the 68 clapped out Mustang fastback I had in high school, and that is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother and I owned a '67 Fastback back in the day so I've always had a fondness for the car's styling and small block V-8's. I've noticed some early Gen 5's are getting pretty cheap. Almost an even trade for my S2000. My previous experiences with Ford's hasn't been great however, so I'm wondering about what the weaknesses are (other than fit and finish which is far from Japanese standards).

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I think they look great. Which is nice because you see one every mile or so on the road. I never understood the Shelby, Steeda, Saleen etc pricing. Great looking cars, great straight line performance. But why pay Corvette money for a Mustang?

And yep, they are a nostalgic car, even in engineering terms. I believe the 4.6's, 5.4's etc now are no longer overhead valve but they still have that nostalgic suspension and straight rear axle.

I think you can supercharge them pretty cheap though for a pretty wild amount of power. No shortage of aftermarket support. And they depreciate like, well... a Ford. So you should be able to find a nice used one for a good deal.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Personally, I'd hold out and look at a Challenger.
:)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I've never been much of a pentastar fan, but that new challenger looks fantastic. By far the best of the "retro" cars. New Camaro not half bad looking either.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
chris d, your comments are right on.....thats why i dont post much abt other cars on this forum anymore. sick of dealing with snobs.....
anyway,
correct me if im wrong jimk, but the car you are talking abt is the shelby gt500, no?
if so, then half of the responses you got here are invalid because they didnt even comment on the right car....lol
anyway, it uses a 5.4 supercharged engine. (roots style) 6 speed tremic manual. auto is NOT available on this model.
nice car and is still going for over sticker.....(i can get 1 through some ford execs i know, but i dont want to give up my viper for it. maybe later..:) )
the biggest downside i see with the car is the 285 rear tires. the car simply does not have enough grip. i guess that fixable.
also, very easy to make more power.
there are a few options you can order from the factory, like the 625hp "kr" version....
very cool car, but as someone pointed out, pricey.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I rented a Shelby from Hertz for a few days and was very disappointed in it. Other than the exhaust note and overall level of acceleration, I can't say much positive about it. The auto transmission was terrible, the interior was cheap and shoddy, the live axle jumped around on anything other than a smooth road and the steering was straight out of a Crown Vic (I rent alot of Fords from Hertz). It felt like a modern version of the 68 clapped out Mustang fastback I had in high school, and that is not a good thing.

:no: Last that I knew, those cars weren't actually Shelby 500s. They are regular GTs with Shelby body work and logos.

If it says anything about these cars I saw a 5,000 (roughly) lb Mercedes dust a real Shelby Gt500 in the 1/4 mile. Personally, Id rather have an old GT350.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
chris d, your comments are right on.....thats why i dont post much abt other cars on this forum anymore. sick of dealing with snobs.....
anyway,
correct me if im wrong jimk, but the car you are talking abt is the shelby gt500, no?
if so, then half of the responses you got here are invalid because they didnt even comment on the right car....lol
anyway, it uses a 5.4 supercharged engine. (roots style) 6 speed tremic manual. auto is NOT available on this model.
nice car and is still going for over sticker.....(i can get 1 through some ford execs i know, but i dont want to give up my viper for it. maybe later..:) )
the biggest downside i see with the car is the 285 rear tires. the car simply does not have enough grip. i guess that fixable.
also, very easy to make more power.
there are a few options you can order from the factory, like the 625hp "kr" version....
very cool car, but as someone pointed out, pricey.
Well, with all due respect to you and ChrisD, the OP didn't ask for only positive opinions, all opinions were requested...so if someone has an informed negative opinion, they shouldn't feel shy about posting it.

Also, the OP didn't specify that it is the GT500 he's looking at. There is also the Shelby GT, which is the general market version of the Hertz Shelby GT. Both have nominally more horsepower than a standard Mustang GT, and some handling 'tweaks' which, according to all road tests, don't really have much impact.

Recent article compared the Shelby Mustang, new Audi TT, most current 350Z, and a Mazda RX8 in all aspects, including track. Mustang placed dead last. Was the quickest nominally to 60, tied with another car for quarter mile, and was hopelessly outclassed by all the other cars whenever the road had a turn, or in interior fit/finish/ergonomics.

They did say the signed Shelby plate in the interior would wow friends on cruise night.

IF it's the GT500, well, again, it's all about what you want. As a performance car it doesn't stack up well against other performance cars in its price range. But it's got the name, decent looks, and a real Shelby pedigree. For some that's worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
He said it'd be an even trade for his S2000.
Who said that? This guy?
Current (retro) body style that is. Anyone know anything about them? A colleague of mine purchased the Shelby version. Looks and sounds pretty damn good. Kinda got a hankering for some old-school American iron (to replace the S2000). I know there are alot of negative opinions about them here, but I'm interested in actual experiences/I] with them.
fire away!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Hertz Mustang is de-tuned for the general public.

Check out the Mustangs at the dealer,

or Roush or Saleen Mustangs that kick butt. :cool

SALEEN

2008 S302 Extreme

Extreme is too soft of a word for this incredible vehicle. The S302 Extreme gives you 620 horsepower at your disposal for the most powerful ride you have ever experienced. At Saleen, we are always pushing limits. And with the S302 Extreme, we are standing firmly at the edge of what’s possible. It’s something you have to drive to believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, with all due respect to you and ChrisD, the OP didn't ask for only positive opinions, all opinions were requested...so if someone has an informed negative opinion, they shouldn't feel shy about posting it.

Also, the OP didn't specify that it is the GT500 he's looking at. There is also the Shelby GT, which is the general market version of the Hertz Shelby GT. Both have nominally more horsepower than a standard Mustang GT, and some handling 'tweaks' which, according to all road tests, don't really have much impact.

Recent article compared the Shelby Mustang, new Audi TT, most current 350Z, and a Mazda RX8 in all aspects, including track. Mustang placed dead last. Was the quickest nominally to 60, tied with another car for quarter mile, and was hopelessly outclassed by all the other cars whenever the road had a turn, or in interior fit/finish/ergonomics.

They did say the signed Shelby plate in the interior would wow friends on cruise night.

IF it's the GT500, well, again, it's all about what you want. As a performance car it doesn't stack up well against other performance cars in its price range. But it's got the name, decent looks, and a real Shelby pedigree. For some that's worth the price of admission.

I guess Im like most muscle heads, when I hear Shelby I instantaneously think GT500 without a doubt. Youre right about the Hertz car. I wouldnt only buy the GT500 for the novelty. Looking at it, its not very practical (though I guess people could argue that of the Lotus'). It doesnt handle very well in consideration to the cars it was up against. For that price point, Id rather have the Merc C63 AMG, E92 M3, or RS4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before was I drawn to the lotus, I had my mustang plan all worked out:

By an '06 mustang GT for $20k. Get the ford motorsport/whipple supercharger/intercooler kit for $6k which gets you 500+HP, and go with the Ford Motorsport handling pack for $1k. That gets you a solid 11 second car that supposedly handles well and looks really cool. Oh, and cheap insurance since it's just a GT. The Shelby costs more to insure and has a dealer markup most of the time.

Before I put this plan into action, I rented a Hertz V-6 mustang for a week when I moved out here to San Diego. Granted it has mushier suspension and not as much power- but there're still 210HP, lots of torque, and it still shakes the car a little bit.

Overall impressions were it was a terrible car for me. Acceleration was actually fine, it got up and went when floored. The handling and braking absolutely sucked. It felt just like my old 1971 Cutlass Convertable (minus the cowl shake). Car felt big and heavy- L-O-N-G hood, squishy brakes, etc. I thought in interior felt very cheap even though it looked good. Seats were flat slabs.

Even with 500HP and better brakes and suspension, I couldn't live with it. Now if you're looking for a dragster, then it might be right for you.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts

i dont mind negative opinions....its uninformed negative opinions..lol
speaking of which, looks like i had the wrong car in mind...:)
theres too many "gt" somethings by ford. i forgot all abt the hertz one.
that one still uses the 4.6...blah.
im not surprised it scores low in head to head comparos.....

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
And yep, they are a nostalgic car, even in engineering terms. I believe the 4.6's, 5.4's etc now are no longer overhead valve but they still have that nostalgic suspension and straight rear axle.
I really think this version of mustang will be come the "collector" mustang of the future, given its grass-roots styling. I've never driven one but a friend of mine has given me rides in his GT several times. I'd definitely say its a good car for the money. I exceptionally like the new styling of the Shelby GT and the GT500. Probably moreso with the ShelbyGT. However, american car interiors simply disgust me, and this one is no exception. I haven't seen the Shelby interior so I can't speak for that one, but the basic Mustang interior is cheap, bulky, and very unappealing to me. This is probably the worst place to ask this question though, given the niche market appeal of Lotus. The majority of owners on here, i'd venture to say, are proud Lotus owners because of the individuality the cars display (aside from performance). That is something extremely lacking in the mustang community. You can't drive five minutes without seeing one. For me personally, that reason alone would keep me from purchasing a particular car. For a D/D it definitely would not be a bad choice, but i can't stand "sports cars" that come in ecomony trims. It almost cheapens the upper level trims like the GT500 and ShelbyGT's.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My brother and I owned a '67 Fastback back in the day so I've always had a fondness for the car's styling and small block V-8's. I've noticed some early Gen 5's are getting pretty cheap. Almost an even trade for my S2000. My previous experiences with Ford's hasn't been great however, so I'm wondering about what the weaknesses are (other than fit and finish which is far from Japanese standards).
I would take the Honda over the Ford any day of the week.

I've got some buddies with them, and the best thing to say is...They're Fords. Built with layers of cost control and no clear design mission, other than to hustle people who THINK they're getting a proper sports car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts