The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
If you are looking for photographic styles, I'm afraid I'm a bit old school. These four gents are my idols:

Bernard Cahier
Peter Darley

Jesse Alexander

Dennis Gray
My avatar photo is from Dennis Gray.

Regards,
Dan
Thanks for sharing! Yeah, it looks like some of those pictures go pretty far back, but they are nice. It looks like most of them are track/motorsports pictures. Maybe that can be a good goal. Try and find a track somewhere and take some pictures. I haven't tried that yet.

Also, I'm not sure of the backstory for your username, but I actually work in engine durability, so looking at "Stress Cracks" reminds me of work... Anyhow, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Yeah, it looks like some of those pictures go pretty far back, but they are nice. It looks like most of them are track/motorsports pictures. Maybe that can be a good goal. Try and find a track somewhere and take some pictures. I haven't tried that yet.

Also, I'm not sure of the backstory for your username, but I actually work in engine durability, so looking at "Stress Cracks" reminds me of work... Anyhow, thanks again.
Many of those photos are great because they captured the people, cars, the feeling and history of the time. The best ones are where the light is at lower angles or is poor visibility.

I have been a fan of Lotus Cars since I first saw the Monaco GP on TV on Wide World Of Sports in 1962. The needle went in my arm when I saw Jim Clark and Stirling Moss racing Lotuses through the streets of Monaco. Our neighbors in SoCal behind us owned unusual cars. A Lancia Flaminia Coupe, MG TC, Porsche 356 Cabriolet, and in 1965, mama's anniversary present - an S2 Lotus Elan roadster. I decided one day I would own an Elan. Our neighbor across the street had a new Corvette every two years. Hard not to feel the pull.....

I hung around a local race shop who's owner owned and Elan and raced a Formula B Brabham BT18/21. I learned more about Elans from him. The local Lotus Club at the time published a newsletter every month called "Stress Cracks".

In 1979 I finally bought a '67 Elan DHC from under a tarp behind someone's home in Denver, CO. I still own that car much to the dismay of my wife. It had lots of stress cracks from the abuse and neglect. I put more in driving the dirt and gravel back roads in the Front Range looking for fly fishing streams. I have had a lot of experience repairing stress cracks in fiberglass.

I'm also a machinery reliability engineer in my professional life, mostly pumps, compressors and mechanical shaft seals.

Regards,
Dan Wise

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Many of those photos are great because they captured the people, cars, the feeling and history of the time. The best ones are where the light is at lower angles or is poor visibility.

I have been a fan of Lotus Cars since I first saw the Monaco GP on TV on Wide World Of Sports in 1962. The needle went in my arm when I saw Jim Clark and Stirling Moss racing Lotuses through the streets of Monaco. Our neighbors in SoCal behind us owned unusual cars. A Lancia Flaminia Coupe, MG TC, Porsche 356 Cabriolet, and in 1965, mama's anniversary present - an S2 Lotus Elan roadster. I decided one day I would own an Elan. Our neighbor across the street had a new Corvette every two years. Hard not to feel the pull.....

I hung around a local race shop who's owner owned and Elan and raced a Formula B Brabham BT18/21. I learned more about Elans from him. The local Lotus Club at the time published a newsletter every month called "Stress Cracks".

In 1979 I finally bought a '67 Elan DHC from under a tarp behind someone's home in Denver, CO. I still own that car much to the dismay of my wife. It had lots of stress cracks from the abuse and neglect. I put more in driving the dirt and gravel back roads in the Front Range looking for fly fishing streams. I have had a lot of experience repairing stress cracks in fiberglass.

I'm also a machinery reliability engineer in my professional life, mostly pumps, compressors and mechanical shaft seals.

Regards,
Dan Wise
Thanks for sharing what you really like in the pictures. That's what I'm trying to find. What different people appreciate in automotive photography to see if I can try and find a new picture to take. I probably won't be able to capture some historical races this year, but I certainly could try some low angle lighting shots.

That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing all of the background (that's super cool that the local Lotus newsletter was called Stress Cracks).

Nice! Always good to talk to fellow durability/reliability engineers.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
@tonydim7 or anyone else with interest. Alvin Lumilan is a young photographer who we worked with last year for our Formula Ford Series called the "Crossflow Cup". Alvin has a unique and interesting style. Appropriate Lotus Content: The first Formula Fords delivered to Motor Racing Stables @ Brands Hatch were Lotus 51s, (Lotus 31s with Cortina GT engines to replace the brittle Formula Jr. engines of the era.) There are several very early Lotus 51s raced in this series including one by artist Nick Hunziker. Some of the drivers in this group are ex national champions in FF.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts