The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been adding aero bits to my lotus, general purpose of it is track use, I have another car for a daily driver. How functional are the APR Canards? I am having the car going into the shop this week for body work (from clam repaint) and was thinking of having a set installed. We have some on our Noble M400 and they look mean as hell, how functional are they though?

Is adding them out of my love of the looks a little too ricy?

Pictures for reference :

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Personally,

I hate them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
They do look like crap but I'm sure they provide some additional downforce in the front. Look at all the GT and DTM cars running them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO they look nice.

What color is your Lotus ?

They are functional if positioned correctly.
British racing green

they look kewl, and you have stickers to match your racy appearance.
I think, thanks?

I am sure like front splitters and spoilers, they do have some function, but at what speed do they actually have any effective downforce? 100mph? 150mph? They are very small so how much air can they divert compared to the other aero bits?
probably not much, thanks for feedback

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If doing aero changes the front of these cars is the limiting factor. A rear wing can easily apply a good bit of DF, but will imbalance the car producing understeer. So anything that can help the front is useful.

Appearance wise, probably best used with some splitter and wing options? Just opinion.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,184 Posts
That's what I was told because it seems like 100 pounds is about what people will put on the back with an adjustable spoiler which then would necessitate some type of front splitter to even it out... so how much can the canards add to the front splitter is the question, enough to make a difference or are they just adding holes to the clam for nothing?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
so how much can the canards add to the front splitter is the question, enough to make a difference or are they just adding holes to the clam for nothing?
Answer - Adding holes to the clam for nothing.

It is going to cost a whole lot more to ever reverse adding canards than it ever cost to install. There are some mod's that are easily reversible - this isn't one of them. :no:

Having to fill the holes made is one thing, but repainting the clam (especially for some of the metallic colors and three stage paints) will be another.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the refilling and undoing is one part I am sort of leery of, luckily mine is flat BRG. I have a front splitter on now, and a large rear diffuser, and I am noticing still a bit of understeer even with the wider front tires, I think it is time to maybe try to adjust the rake a little first.

Augh.

Thanks for the intelligent discussion

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I believe and wings or canards do not provide useful down force unless you are going over 80mph. Unless you are doing alot track time they do not help is my understanding.

Ed

·
Back to the Future, again
6,184 Posts
I believe and wings or canards do not provide useful down force unless you are going over 80mph. Unless you are doing alot track time they do not help is my understanding.

Ed
You mean you don't drive 80mph everywhere you go?:coolnana::nanner::nanner2::tadts::clap::no::confused::bow:poke-:thwack::shift:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If done correctly they:

Steeling other people words; "In an old article about the Nissan (??) GTP car, the aero guy said: Their prime benefit was managing the vortex generation along the side of the body which sealed the underbody aero. Today's (Remember this is an OLD article) new LMP cars have a sideways taper to their underbody so they requite more vortex generation. Marty"

and

"1: they generate downforce directly (and create drag)
2: they have an ability to manage "external air flow" that is, air flow that is not under the car....and they have the ability, based on size and location to effect air flow down the sides of the car, act as an "extractor" for wheel arch openings (creating low pressure area directly in the wheel arch openings, and can excite air flow in and around the front undertray. In this way, they are tuneable and can actually exponentially (at least potentially) increase downforce versus drag... Tom"

My understanding is that they are very location, shape and size sensitive. Get them in the correct location, with the correct shape and the correct angle of attack, and you get some areo that compliments existing areo.

Get them wrong and... well they generate lots of drag for the amount of negative lift that they produce.

PS: Here is a link for a more up to date analysis (but on open wheeled cars) http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2012/02/front-wing-side-edge-vortices.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
interesting observation: 407driver thinks they are ugly, yet has a picture of a Chaparral which has an uncanny resemblance to our elise's, including....HUGE canards! interesting..

Well, wether they are effective or not, i am sure they add like 5 lbs downforce,,at 80mph or something almost insignificant, but personally, i love the way they look. beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. some of the american le-mans series cars have them, some dont.. it's whatever makes you feel good!

actually, i like the fender top vents too, it seems they would do a good job releaving the pressures inside the wheel well, probably helping with brake cooling too....but my wife would likely kill me for cutting holes like that in the fenders.. actually, i DID cut vents into the fenders of my old healey;s and they worked REALLY well!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts