The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting prepped to do the 30k mile service for the Elise, and I've come across some things I would expect to torque to certain values, but despite having the maintenance manual for the Elise, I can't find the values listed.

Specifically, I was looking for the torque on the oil sump drain plug and the torque for the spark plugs.

The spark plug torque seems to be specific, and has been listed a number of times on the forum: 13 ft-lb. However, the oil plug and the transmission filler plug don't seem to have recommended torques from Lotus. Is this just a matter of "tighten until secure"? Is this the case for all items with torques not listed in the manual?

Is there a table of torques listed anywhere for these cars? Surely the spark plug torque should be in the manual, right? Do I need to download the Toyota or Celica manuals for this?

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: chester and EdQ

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I'm getting prepped to do the 30k mile service for the Elise, and I've come across some things I would expect to torque to certain values, but despite having the maintenance manual for the Elise, I can't find the values listed.

Specifically, I was looking for the torque on the oil sump drain plug and the torque for the spark plugs.

The spark plug torque seems to be specific, and has been listed a number of times on the forum: 13 ft-lb. However, the oil plug and the transmission filler plug don't seem to have recommended torques from Lotus. Is this just a matter of "tighten until secure"? Is this the case for all items with torques not listed in the manual?

Is there a table of torques listed anywhere for these cars? Surely the spark plug torque should be in the manual, right? Do I need to download the Toyota or Celica manuals for this?
The spark plug is a fun topic. I recommend just follow the instructions on the box, hand tight plus 2/3 of a turn for NGK - and never refit old plugs (at least not like this because the crush washer is already crushed;) - yea, just get new ones

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,141 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some really useful information there guys, thanks!

The spark plug is a fun topic. I recommend just follow the instructions on the box, hand tight plus 2/3 of a turn for NGK - and never refit old plugs (at least not like this because the crush washer is already crushed;) - yea, just get new ones
Oh, I do see that on the box. Why not the 13 ft-lb? Where do the different torque specs come from?

·
He's on fire!
3,431 Posts
Oh, I do see that on the box. Why not the 13 ft-lb? Where do the different torque specs come from?
The instructions on the box come into play because of the washer the manufacturer uses. For all we know 13 ft lbs will crush the washer flat and keep it from doing its job. Its also possible that the instructions on the box will result in a 13 ft lb torque.

I think its very likely that in most cases there is no wrong answer and that the spark plugs will stay in, but when I do it I use the instructions on the box if available.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up using a torque wrench while tightening according to NGK's procedure. NGK says 1/2-2/3 of a turn past hand tight on the box. I used a dab of anti-seize, so I'm not sure how that affected things (I heard you're not supposed to use anti-seize on NGK plugs?), but the torque wrench set at 13 ft-lb clicked just a bit after half a turn past hand tight for each plug. Looks like either spec is fine.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
I ended up using a torque wrench while tightening according to NGK's procedure. NGK says 1/2-2/3 of a turn past hand tight on the box. I used a dab of anti-seize, so I'm not sure how that affected things (I heard you're not supposed to use anti-seize on NGK plugs?), but the torque wrench set at 13 ft-lb clicked just a bit after half a turn past hand tight for each plug. Looks like either spec is fine.
NGK recogmends no anti seize since their plugs have special coating. Post #7 Anti-seize on spark plugs

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
This was my experience too. The crush washer should be "just flat" at 2/3, so yea. Any lubricant at all changes the "correct" torque a lot, like 2x, so look out

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts