The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am almost done with the Zeitronix/Dashdaq install in that I have connected power, EGT, wideband O2, fuel pressure. These all work beautifully. Now, the Zeitronix ZT-2 unit also has wires for Throttle Position Sensor and RPM. Any idea what I connect these two wires to? I assume it have to splice into wires going to the ECU.

And, if someone tells me how to identify the wires, Im not sure how to splice into them in a weathertight manner. Perhaps strip some insulation, solder on the Zeitronix wire, and then paint with a "liquid electrical tape"? Or use one of the clamps from autozone that tap into a wire but is not really weathertight?

Finally, I have an oil pressure sensor I would like to connect. It needs 5 volt input. Any place to tap into for that or do I have to solder in a voltage transformer from radioshack (by removing the cigarette lighter adapter from transformer and soldering into 12 volt supply, but seems especially cluttery solution)? And where to screw in the sensor (1/8 npt)? People were advocating the Greddy sandwich adapter which has holes for this but it is no longer for sale. The glowshift model and some generics dont work apparantly, and it seems I should be able to do this without adding a sandwich adapter.

Will post photos when get up and running, what it does so far is pretty cool. Just want to finish its capabilities before closing the rear clam. I plan on mounting the dashdaq lcd screen in center of the dash behind the two central air vents with small custom fiberglass shroud.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Now, the Zeitronix ZT-2 unit also has wires for Throttle Position Sensor and RPM.
TPS can be taken from the sensor plug itself, or from the ECU harness. RPM, so far as most things will care to see it presented as, will need the MSD pickup for which there are dozens of threads already.

And, if someone tells me how to identify the wires, Im not sure how to splice into them in a weathertight manner.
Splice, solder, heat shrink. Don't dick around with "quick splice" mickey mouse autozone crap.

Finally, I have an oil pressure sensor I would like to connect. It needs 5 volt input.
That would be the first of its kind I've ever seen. Are you certain it's not looking for a 0-5V signal, rather than input power?

And where to screw in the sensor (1/8 npt)? People were advocating the Greddy sandwich adapter which has holes for this but it is no longer for sale.
You can use the oil cooler purge port. Unscrew the purge fitting and replace it with the sensor or fitting of your choice. If your sensor is overly wide, you'll have to rig up a stand-off with pipe fittings else it will interfere with the oil filter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Zeitronix sensors definately use 5 volt input power (and output 0-5v), but Im swapping them out for Innovative sensors which handle 5-24v input power, so that problem is solved. The innovative sensors will still be connectd to the Zeitronix ZT-2. Of course the Innovative sensors came with a warning that said that "Attaching the sensor to the motor or anything rigidly attached to the motor will void the warranty". Well, heck. The fuel pressure sensor is on the fuel rail which is rigidly attached to the engine. Was going to mount the oil pressure sensor to the sandwich plate which is rigidly attached to engine. Am I supposed to run a hose to the sensor giving me another potential failure point ? Isnt the normal location rigidly attached to the engine ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts