The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to think about putting our '06 Elise to sleep for the winter and want to do the usual oil and filter change.

Like I think the most of you, I have been using Mobil 1 5W-40 and here in Canada it seems easier to get the diesel version. Also use Mobil 1's oil filter MI-209 as it seems to be one of the few American made ones still available.

However, a few days ago, I was at an auto parts dealer who specializes in German parts and there is where I go to buy the German Mann oil filter for my Lotus Cortina. I saw that he carrys the German fully synthetic oil Liqui-Moly Synthol in 5W-40 viscosity. Just wondering if any one else is using this oil in their Elise or Exige. Seems to have some quite favourable recommendations by users.

Might also see if there is a Mann filter that fits. Any experience there also?

·
Less is Better
2,648 Posts
I use Redline on my Elise. I feel better about using a high ZDDP oil considering the sliding nature of the high lift cams. I do use Liqui-moly in my Aston Martin, a much more expensive engine, because it meets the test requirements of Aston and appears to be a high quality synthetic and they offer the 10w60 weight that is needed for that car. It just doesn't have as much ZDDP in it's virgin oil analysis as Redline so I'm not going to use it in the 2zz. But I have no complaints. For the filter, I use the Wix XP filter, which is a higher quality media than the standard version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments me73. I just stumbled onto a Mobil 1 link where they list the Zinc and Phosphorus levels of their oil grades. For "Formula M" 5W-40 the values are 1100 ppm and 1000 ppm respectively. For "Turbo Diesel Truck", they are 1300 and 1100. So, looks like I will stick with Mobil 1. I was thinking about Amsoil as well as the Liqui-Moly but if I can't find if and if so, how much Zn & P levels they have, then no go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments me73.

In the meantime, I stumbled onto a Mobil 1 link (dated Oct'19) that listed the Zinc and Phosphorus levels of their two 5W-40 grades. "Formula M" had 1100 and 1000 ppm respectively and "Turbo Diesel Truck" was at 1300 and 1100.

Was looking at Amsoil as well as Liqui-Moly but if I can't find their Zn & P levels, then I will stick with Mobil 1.

·
Less is Better
2,648 Posts
Diesel oils are generally higher. They don't need to meet the requirements that gasoline rated oils do. bobistheoilguy is a great site to fine virgin oil analysis for this kind of information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts