The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart cars are coming to the USA

"Most importantly the Smart Car looks cool. It also gets 60 mpg, is four feet smaller than a Mini Cooper (you can park two in a standard parking spot), the plastic panels are easily swappable and one color all the way through (so you can't scratch the paint), the steel frame makes it safe in an accident, and you can get it with in-dash Bluetooth (and in Europe can read and write email via the car speakers and a microphone). The Smart car is coming to the US soon, and will cost as little as $12,000. l

I'd get one! ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
heh... when I was in Europe last month I saw those everywhere.

I guess they weigh around 1650 - 1700 lbs and have engines putting out 50 -74 hp. I wonder how fast they are.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The Smart pictured is not coming as far as I've heard, except through ZAP electric vehicles in San Francisco, at a price around 20K plus for an 'Americanized' version (which is a silly price for that car). The car that IS coming is the ForFour, which is a sort of mini-SUV. I would be surpised if it's 12K, but maybe. Funny, but I saw a Smart Roadster in Beverly Hills today -- no idea how that one came in, except as a show car or maybe brought by a foreign national. That's a car I would consider as a runabout.

Can't imagine that you'd feel too safe mixing it up with SUVs on the freeway in one of these -- small and not much power or handling for evasive maneuvers. Very cool as a city car, or in a small town, though.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think we're seeing the beginning of the end of suvs. Gas is going to continue to get more and more expensive as with world wide demand (china, etc) for oil increasing. It's only a question of time before the middle class abandons this line.

The conspicuous consumers out there will continue with the H2s etc.
Chris

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
shay2nak said:
i don't think the 2 door is coming here. From what I've read it's going to be a 4 door.
I thought I heard that if the ForFour is a success, they'll bring the 2 door later.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, the 4 door first, then the 2 door I think by 2007. There was one driving around NYC recently checking public opinion. Great car for NYC!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
A good friend of mine stoppedby to see me at work yesterday and said that ZAP located in Santa Rosa Ca. has 50 of the "For Two" Smarts in a warehouse up there and has been trying for the past 6 mos to get the car through EPA and DOT Certifications. He says the problems are the lack of a fuel vapor cannister, and the lack of OBDII. He says that enough $$ is at stake and since Smart has no plans to bring the "For Two" to the states ZAP will eventually cert the car for US sale. Smart is planning to bring a (guess what?) an SUV version here.. rotfl

·
Registered
94 Posts
there are smart cars legally registered in the u.s. Here in sarasota, Fl, theres a person who imports them. he currently has 2 fortwos and a roadster, all for sale. and just today i saw another place with a fortwo, so if you want one it is possible.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goinfast, are those electric conversions? Do you have the name / contact info of the place? Thx.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Available for purchase "in four or five weeks" - and that was August 31. Schweet! I'll have to look for one. :) Maybe a new toy to hold me over till the lizzy gets here :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
In CA, the media has been talking about ZAP bringing these cars in for a while, but I don't think they've got many (or any) on the street, yet, so don't count your eggs just yet

·
Registered
94 Posts
transio said:
Goinfast, are those electric conversions? Do you have the name / contact info of the place? Thx.
i think they're gas- they make all the right noises :)
and i don't have the contact info handy, but if i remember, i'll try to go by and write it down

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
grudkin said:
In CA, the media has been talking about ZAP bringing these cars in for a while, but I don't think they've got many (or any) on the street, yet, so don't count your eggs just yet
I've seen a couple here in Newport Beach. The importer is located nearby, but I don't know if these cars were owned by the importer or were customer cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
found some contact info:
phone: (941)-929-0551
www.detlefs-rentals.com
enter the main page, go down to Mercedes-Benz Smart sales and follow the links.
If you click on the big green pic, the pictures of the green car on the bottom is one of the city coupes here, but i can't find any pics of the cool, blue and white one with some Brabus parts on it, or the roadster.
There's not too much info on the website, but if you call or e-mail they'll probably be able to help you more.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen some ForTwos in Sobe recently (since i've been looking for them). Not sure if they're diesels or electrics, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts