The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car last night and took it into work today. One guy comes over to me and says that so and so who works in another department wants to talk to you.

The person comes over and says that she was looking at cars for her kid to use at college and decided to buy an Elise. After thinking- I wish you were my mom- I said, when are you expecting it. She said I went to PBMC a few weeks ago and they told me I was number 80 something and there would be about a year wait. But then I went to another dealer a weekmormtwo ago and they told me I could have the car I wanted in 6-8 weeks at MSRP since I told them my daughters car is in bad condition and she needs a new one real soon..

I then said, I guess you went to Prestige and started laughing. She asked me how I knew that was the dealer. I then told her the condensed version of the Transio story.

I warned her and told her I waited almost 2 years for my car, and their is no way she would be able to get one in 6 weeks, unless
the dealer was going to charge her over MSRP. She said they said they wouldnt....It will be interesting to see what happens....PBMC said she called shortly afterwards and asked to be put back in line.....

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
wtf. Aside from the laughable "get a car in 6 weeks at msrp". ...

Her daughters car is in "bad shape" and she needs one soon...sounds like she's got an old honda or saturn on its last legs. Logic would dictate getting another honda or enconomy car to get around campus with. Who on EARTH would buy an elise as their college car???

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OneFastLotus said:
Who on EARTH would buy an elise as their college car???
It is amazing too see some of cars college kids have. One kid I went to school with in the late 70"s had a Ferrari, a BMW and a Winnegago since he was on a sports team and had to travel all over the place.

There were a few kids with 911s and 450SLs and even two that had Panteras. And I didnt even go to an Ivy League School, just a small college in Texas with 3000 students

Best License plate on a college campus- A 20 yr old girl in a 968 convertible with DADYSGRL as the license plate

Wonder what the Olsens twins are driving to NYU, last I heard they had matching Hummers.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
At least the Olsen twins made their own money, and are entitled to drive whatever they want. I won't comment on the possibilities of matching hummers.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
:clap:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Actually I meant more of the type of car rather than the cost factor. I know there are lots of college students with very expensive cars, more expensive than $40,000. Maybe it's me, but the elise would seem completely out of whack for getting around at school. Cant take friends, cant take much of anything with you, hard to get in and out of in tight student parking areas etc. To me it would make as much sense as someone working in the Alaskan outback buying an elise to take people out on tours offroad in the wilderness.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man, don't get me started on Prestige!

Palm Beach is the home of the overindulged offspring. I went to prep school in Lauderdale (a little south, but very similar) and I had classmates with Porsches, corvettes, even an NSX. I wonder what they paid for insurance!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I had a classmate who had as a daily driver an M3, an M5 parked in the garage next to a Boxster S and a 348. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I drove my Dad's old AWD Chevy Astro around college. That was a good college car. It would easily seat 6 people comfortably, and all the grociers 6 people could eat in a month in the back. Not very good gas mileage, but it was for going out on the town with more friends than you'd want to fit in a sedan. Oh yeah, and it had a PA (Public Address) system installed. That always made it a little dangerous driving around the city with mischivieus friends.

·
Registered
409 Posts
okay, chiming in...

I learned to drive on my Dad's 1970 Chevy pickup and drove it while in college. It had a three-on-the-tree, no power steering, no power brakes (drum brakes), and an 8 track player. Although it is now the sweetest ride around, in 1989 it was merely an outdated hunk of metal.

Nobody's kid should be driving an Elise!

·
Registered
52 Posts
transio said:

Now they're offering cars off the showroom floor at MSRP? Some college girl who needs a new car and thinks the Elise is cute is gonna get her Elise in 6-8 weeks at MSRP while true enthusiasts are waiting years for ours? Next week is one year wait for me, and I've got several months wait to go! Where the hell is Lotus in all this ****?
You know Brett is full of sh!t. He wants this woman's deposit so he can add it to the list and show LotusUSA all the orders he's racking up. He's not thinking it all the way through to the customer level. He's using a low-budget mentality of "Get their money in the house and the deal will go. Who cares if they're happy or pissed.", much like a general contractor when building a new house. He's so nice and professional unitl he gets the construction deposit and then DISAPPEARS--same thing with Prestige. They'll never touch the Collection as long as teenagers are running it. . .trying to tell me the Blue demo at the Auto show was his PERSONAL car! Prestige should stick to Lambos.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mercs, BMW were norms at my college, my friends had 328Ci (from head of BMW was auto car circuit demo), 540i, etc., SLK55 AMG, etc...

avg car on campus was new VW Jetta, 3 series or audi A4...I stress average, hi range was a couple ferrari's, vipers, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
xxxotic said:
I got my car last night and took it into work today.
Congrats! Ryan emailed me the pics on Tuesday, that one day wait for PDI must be the worst! :p

I might just have to camp out when my cars get delievered.

The ST Elise with hardtop and LSS that also got delieved looks pretty sweet, but IMHO the SY looks the best. :p

Less than two months to go for mine.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Forget college, there were Ferraris, Porsches, and Vipers at my high school in Boca. I just find it funny that people get upset by this. If their parents can afford it and they are responsible who cares?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im not upset, I could care less...like I said, if someone wants to drive a BMW isetta to class. Go for it.

I think the rub is when a college student gets their elise to drive around campus before someone who's been on the list for a year.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I had a Porsche when I was in college.... Granted, it was a 914 & I paid $3400 for it, but it was a Porsche. ;)

I wonder how many groceries I sacked & videos I rented to get that Porsche. hmmm.. hehe

taking this thread completely off topic.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I was overindulged as a child too, first car was a 67 Pontiac Catalina stationwagon (this was in 77). Senior year I DID get a 73 Cougar xr7!!
Chris

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Im not upset, I could care less...like I said, if someone wants to drive a BMW isetta to class. Go for it.

I think the rub is when a college student gets their elise to drive around campus before someone who's been on the list for a year.

hmmmm i once drove an isetta around a small town in mississippi. that must count for something!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to my co-worker today and she said her daughter is not some young college kid, she will graduate soon and be a doctor.
When I first talked to her she said that her daughter needs a car to go to school down in Miami so I thought she was referring to a young college kid. Sorry for any confusion.

The mother said that they used to have a Lotus before. I went to a party at work today and someone said that during a recent hurricane a coworkers friend asked if he could put his cars in our parking garage since he lived around the beach and didnt want them damaged. I didnt see the cars but someone said he had a Lotus, and then I found out a few months ago that person who is very active with Lotus LTD used to live right around me too, so I guess a lot of people in the area know are familiar with the marque.

Even the guy at the post ofice said that his daughters boyfriend was on a waiting list for the Elise, but he gave up after waiting a few months.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts