The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as seat time goes, I'm going to every track day I can make it to, trying to get instructors in the passenger seat when possible, etc.

We have a time trial series with cash rewards and contingencies, but I'm really good at getting 2nd place which has no reward (other than it's fun as hell!)

As far as the car goes, I'd like some advice from some experience racers in the elise-I'm deciding on what to improve next on the vehicle.

So far: 225/245 rubber, stage II muffler, custom alignment, 4 pt. harness is all I've done.
Like every car on earth, some horsepower would be cool, but I'm not going to go forced induction. I've read about the D&D intake manifold on this site, and I certainly want to go that way when it's ready.

For the time being, is there a throttle body/injectors/tune that gets me anywhere?

Header or muffler change that is really worth any power?

Front lip/rear wing that will make a real improvement?

cheers

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If you haven't already:

Machine front uprights (or install Sector111 V2arms) for increased negative camber up front.

Lighter wheels, brake rotors, etc.

Stickier tires; better dampers and firmer springs to go with them.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Header or muffler change that is really worth any power?
Header, probably not without a custom tune.
Exhaust, is mostly going to be the weight loss. (10 lbs gone = 1 HP)
Front lip/rear wing that will make a real improvement?
This really depends on the track. Adding downforce to the car helps on very high speed corners (also may help with braking). You have to be pressing the car pretty close to the limit to get benefit from this. For example: If you can go around corner X at 98 in an Elise with the regular downforce, you might be able to go around that same corner at 103 if you had extra downforce. If said corner leads onto a long straight then that extra 5 MPH translates into a higher speed down that long straight. So yeah, there is a real improvement. BUT you have to ask yourself "Am I already at the absolute limit of corning in my car already and will I be able to benefit from this addition?". If you are taking said corner at 90 instead of 98 then adding the downforce isn't going to give you any benefit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts