The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my Elise aligned and the previous owner removed the shims from the front and rear wheels to increase the negative camber. Should I have the shims put back in with the new alignment?

What are the pros and cons relative to shims or no shims (handling, tire wear, part fatigue, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
While running zero toe, you should experience very little tire wear difference but with slightly lower braking capacity.

Now, the important issue to consider is how you drive your car. Have you ever found yourself wishing you had more front grip in corners? Do you ever get slightly annoyed with the understeer on corner exit? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then leave the shims out. If it's no, then either the lack of shims is working or you don't drive in a manner that demands the most front end grip.

Other than that, there isn't really that much difference in terms of tire wear and more negative camber may in fact increase your tire's life if you are continually wearing out the tire shoulder before the rest of the tire.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You really should be discussing actual camber measurements and not the number of shims... it's easy to measure camber while the car is sitting on a flat, level surface.

So, what camber should you shoot for? That depends on what you use the car for... street, street and track/autox, track only, etc.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
While running zero toe, you should experience very little tire wear difference but with slightly lower braking capacity.

Now, the important issue to consider is how you drive your car. Have you ever found yourself wishing you had more front grip in corners? Do you ever get slightly annoyed with the understeer on corner exit? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then leave the shims out. If it's no, then either the lack of shims is working or you don't drive in a manner that demands the most front end grip.

Other than that, there isn't really that much difference in terms of tire wear and more negative camber may in fact increase your tire's life if you are continually wearing out the tire shoulder before the rest of the tire.

+1

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I will be installing the DSbrace on my 05 touring pkg. I do about three to four track events per year (intermediate run group), and aggressive street. Not out of control high speed aggressive street, but I love on/off ramps. The car at the moment feels a bit twitchy above 80, compared to my Miata. I'm not sure what the alignment settings are on my Elise right now. I'd like suggestions as well. Using Toyo R1R's and would like a compromise between increased handling and premature tire wear. I know it's a compromise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts