The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the RC track yesterday and saw an old car I had and knew I would regret selling.. It was a black E36-7 BMW M-coupe in black. Mine was Imola red with no sunroof (rare but I'd want the sunroof now). Man I hated that car when I owned it. I wanted more of a Luxo-car vs a dirty and nimble car, kinda like the Exige is now. It had problems with ripping out the rear sub-frames and the interior was just squeaked non stop and was super cramped (sound familiar?)

So anyone regret selling their lotus? I've owned mine for almost 7 years (the longest I've owned any car) and I love the thing to death but I still haven't put on 10K of miles since I owned it and I've probably only done like 2K in the past 3 years. I haven't done a track day in 2+ years and I now am just stock piling parts, instead of you know, putting them on...

Sigh... I know I always sell at the wrong time too.. Seems like Lotus prices are kinda soft right now..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you'll regret it if your Exige is nicely equipped and harder to replace in the future. I dropped my first chili red Elise (sport back soft top) and while I did miss it, told myself I'd come back to an Exige or supercharged variant.

Then I was ready to buy another car and this beauti ardent red Elise with a hard top, VF2 supercharger, boe clam, boe oil cooler, and other goodies showed up. I jumped on it and focused on replacing it's base suspension and cast wheels with an S260 set and Penske NA coilovers. It's now perfect and it'll stay with me permanently.

Sure I'd like an Evora 400 or Exige 240/260 someday, but that'll bump my 4C before it bumps my Elise. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whenever I get close to feeling like this, I do a trackday and it buys me at least another 12 months of interest!

Options are limited on what you could replace it with nowadays too!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Something to think about.......Will Rogers has many famous sayings........make this apply to your car too.........he said, " Buy land, they ain't making any more." Same applies to your Exige.
A Bimmer? A Bimmer! They're about as common as hookers. Some look nice, some seem nice.....but in the final analysis one maybe really doesn't need 'em and you'll likely have regrets later.
So remember the expression used in an advert for Esprit years ago when it comes to Lotus
It doesn't compete with other cars. It competes with sex.

·
Scott M
279 Posts
Only "sort of." Selling the awesome Esprit I had was quite sad, and occasionally induces regret in the ~1 year since. However, owning the replacement Evora (see signature) has been even better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was at the RC track yesterday and saw an old car I had and knew I would regret selling.. It was a black E36-7 BMW M-coupe in black. Mine was Imola red with no sunroof (rare but I'd want the sunroof now). Man I hated that car when I owned it. I wanted more of a Luxo-car vs a dirty and nimble car, kinda like the Exige is now. It had problems with ripping out the rear sub-frames and the interior was just squeaked non stop and was super cramped (sound familiar?)

So anyone regret selling their lotus? I've owned mine for almost 7 years (the longest I've owned any car) and I love the thing to death but I still haven't put on 10K of miles since I owned it and I've probably only done like 2K in the past 3 years. I haven't done a track day in 2+ years and I now am just stock piling parts, instead of you know, putting them on...

Sigh... I know I always sell at the wrong time too.. Seems like Lotus prices are kinda soft right now..
Maybe if you drove it more. I put 8k miles on my Elise the first year I owned it and will probably do another 8k miles this year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I got my asking price for my Final Edition Esprit within 30 minutes I regret not asking more. It's value has gone up another 25% since then. Never had any problems with it but wanted something more 'dependable' at the time. The C7 sufficed for a while but became boring. The new Evora has filed that void nicely.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think you'll regret it if your Exige is nicely equipped and harder to replace in the future. I dropped my first chili red Elise (sport back soft top) and while I did miss it, told myself I'd come back to an Exige or supercharged variant.

Then I was ready to buy another car and this beauti ardent red Elise with a hard top, VF2 supercharger, boe clam, boe oil cooler, and other goodies showed up. I jumped on it and focused on replacing it's base suspension and cast wheels with an S260 set and Penske NA coilovers. It's now perfect and it'll stay with me permanently.

Sure I'd like an Evora 400 or Exige 240/260 someday, but that'll bump my 4C before it bumps my Elise. :)
[/QUOTE
I am 62 and have had the S240 for 8 Year’s, with the BOE torque 300 upgrade ,suspension etc. and even though I don’t drive it much I know I could never replace it . It’s my 4th lotus in 30 Year’s.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Sold my 2007 Elise NA and bought a 2015 Aston Martin Vantage GT (manual). I do NOT regret it. Although these 2 cars are not really comparable I’m so happy with the Vantage. I don’t track my cars and the fact that the Elise was too basic (and too low) made it impossible to enjoy as an occasional daily car. Yes, the Elise looks much better and is much more rare and unique but didn’t work for me.
So if you think now is the time to sell it, maybe go ahead and enjoy a different car that you like. We live only once, right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my Exige out a few weeks ago and my new neighbor comes pulling up in his burgundy Elise and stopped. He said he heard from a few of the neighbors that there was a guy that lived here with a similar car and I apparently have all the toys (LOL). But I was kinda excited when I saw the moving truck and his Lotus.

Turns out hes a track rat from Texas and I told him that I am determined to hit the track this year. Hes down. Finally, I might have someone to chase.

Hopefully we do this track day before all my car friends sell their weekend cars... seems like car people are a dying breed....

P.s. If I were to sell the Lotus, for sure I'd do a GT car (Aston Vantage is the best looking GT car of all time IMO) or god forbid a Euro SUV that goes really fast and gets really crappy gas mileage, you know "family car".

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had my Exige out a few weeks ago and my new neighbor comes pulling up in his burgundy Elise and stopped. He said he heard from a few of the neighbors that there was a guy that lived here with a similar car and I apparently have all the toys (LOL). But I was kinda excited when I saw the moving truck and his Lotus.

Turns out hes a track rat from Texas and I told him that I am determined to hit the track this year. Hes down. Finally, I might have someone to chase.

Hopefully we do this track day before all my car friends sell their weekend cars... seems like car people are a dying breed....

P.s. If I were to sell the Lotus, for sure I'd do a GT car (Aston Vantage is the best looking GT car of all time IMO) or god forbid a Euro SUV that goes really fast and gets really crappy gas mileage, you know "family car".
Small world neighbor, perhaps we need to get the cars out this week for a run while we wait on the next track day!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nuwan! I was hoping you would be on here.. Well after looking at Speed Ventures last night, I am trying to rally up the troops for an attack on Laguna in Aug. Its kinda short notice but plan b is Chuckwalla or Buttonwillow in Oct/Nov. If we do Laguna, I'll have to order my Penskes soon..

PM me or text me your ideas and I'm always down for a day off and hit the canyons..

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Everyone regrets selling their Lotus except for the hands off folks that had a bizarre issue they couldn't resolve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts