The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a couple of spots of scraped paint on the Esprit -- the front winglet from a curb, and the driver's door sill from 14 years of dragging feet.

I ordered up custom matched spray paint, 600, 1000, 1500 sand paper, and clear coat.

Sand it smooth, clean with 90% alcohol, spray color just enough to cover primer, clear coat dusting, lots of clear coats, wet sand up to 1500 grit, then a rotary polisher with wool pad and 3m Polish.

I use cardboard shape cutouts of the spray pattern that I hold an inch above the surface so I can feather in the color. Clear doesn't need that.

Looking surprisingly good. I am going to put clear bra on the sills to protect them going forward.

For rock chips, Dr Colorchip made my 250+ chips invisible! But don't try it on scrapes -- not what it solves.

I took off the front lip, sanded out all the blemishes, then put on 10 coats of flat black bumper spray paint. Looks brand new. Also drilled out the holes in the lip to get it to fit properly together in the front overlap section. It had a 1/4" gap for some unknown reason.

The lip was a little warped at some screw holes, so I made 2" long washers out of thick galvanized steel and that solved that problem.

Next for painting, I am going to repaint the wheel wells with 3M paint made just for that. They aren't too bad, but the existing paint is starting to wear through.

(I used left over balloon material from Felix's jump to keep the overspray off the car.)

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Looks good in the pics...lotsa reflections tho'...that makes it difficult to see what blemishes you repaired.

+++++++++++++++++

I tried Dr Colorchip and found that while it filled in the chipped areas it didn't level the paint too well. But my test subject was my 185K Daily Driver which had been sandblasted from years of "drafting" other cars on the interstates...:( Maybe that car needed TWO kits, I dunno.

+++++++++++++++++

I see you used Paintscratch.com to provide the color coat. :cool: I've been VERY pleased with the matches they provide on my cars (including my Esprit's Claret color). Some bodyshop suppliers have trouble matching the original ICI paint for some reason. :sad:

++++++++++++++++
As for the black bottom lip, jtrealty reports that he just wet-sands and polishes the unpainted surfaces when it scrapes the ground. His process DOES look good on his two Esprit V8s. :up:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The paint match is amazing. But it doesn't look that way at first. When you spray the color, it's a pretty close match by itself. But when you spray the first clear coats, it's a lot lighter, but as the clear dries it starts to match. Every coat of clear makes it look too light again. But after overnight when it's all dry and then wet sanded and buffed, it's perfect.

Dr Colorchip will never fill the chips because it needs that divot to work. If the divot is gone you can't use it. But it matches so well and just leaves paint in the divot with no excess around the edges that the divots are pretty darn hard to see.

You might be able to sand, clean and then clear coat over the Dr Colorchip area and then wet sand to fill in the divots. Mine are so hard to see that it's not worth it to me.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Regards the Esprit wheel wells...I've used (and helped others apply to their Esprits) regular old rubberized undercoating in a spray can. It has held up, well.

Gotta mask off the edges and suspension bits of course. (So, how much balloon material did you end up with, anyway?) :D

Wheel well refurb is a good opportunity to seal off the support bolts for the tank-top boards (in the forward arch of each rear wheel well). I used a coating of RTV around the bolts, then applied the undercoating. Now, water won't get into the gas tank areas from that source.
:up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts