The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trailer's electrical shorted out on the way toDevens last week in the hurricane rains, and I didn't get it fixed yet. Last night I decided I wasn't burned out on racing, just on the whole trailer front. Which got me thinking-how else can get the tires to the track?

I remember Stan telling me about the European racers using the top of the car, and I got to measuring. Two tires WILL fit inside (205s). hmmm. I got my dusty hardtop out of the closet. My surfboard rack WILL fit the hardtop!! hmmmmmm yep, we have a solution. Here is proof.

Attachments

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Looks great.....now try to come up with a way for those of us without hardtops...... :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pardon the pouring rain. The skies opened the minute we finished the 2nd heat (SS :)). I hit speeds of up to 80 MPH there and back with no buffetting issues, the top is unharmed, and the solution worked liked a charm. I had a ton of funny looks form commuters, but the other racers thought it was great. One rocket scientist at a rest stop says "You must be worried about a lot of flats." I simply replied "You can't be too careful." :rolleyes:

The inside tires did not move around; they wedge in there pretty good, and only getting into 6th was a pain as the shifter knob touches the tire. I tied the top rope to the tow hoop in the front for more stability.

I like this solution so much I might just sell the friggin trailer (once I fix the electrical). EVL was still skeptical, but I'm sold! BTW-congrats to Chris (EVL) who nicked me by a few tenths today with some last run heroics. Bastard! :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without a hardtop you're SOL. Or you could buy my trailer! :D The tires/wheels must weight 50 pounds or so. I wouldn't want to put more on there than I did, and I still worry a bit about the hardtop, but it seemed to do great!! Taking the hardtop off/on is still a ten minute job, but it beats rigging up the trailer. Or you could race with it on, but I prefer open air racing. :)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well I was sure glad your trailer was there to help me get my fatigue-failed shifter welded!

Maybe you should get some of these? Tire bags from Blackwatch Racing...to protect your interior and keep gravel from the roof-mounted tires from landing on your paint job...

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Thanks Stan!

BTW - the new version, which I should have by the end of the month, has a grommet in the center to allow mounting on a tire rack. Or for running a rope through the wheel...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Jer,

Now that's dedication! Too funny! My friend fit 1 15" wheel in the trunk of his Miata and 3 in the passenger seat. I thought that was going too far but you've outdone him.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Damn Jer,

Pity you could not have thought of this a few weeks ago. It would have saved me $6K on a trailer.

But on second thoughts where would I put Judith ?? :shrug:

Malcolm

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can put large black garbage bags over the tires to protect your seat, and you can use the seat belt to hold the tires in place. If you pull it all the way out it will lock, and you can then pull it snug around the tires. Just be careful going around the corners with all that weight up high, could put some stress on the roof on the on ramps :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Jer,

Now that's dedication! Too funny! My friend fit 1 15" wheel in the trunk of his Miata and 3 in the passenger seat. I thought that was going too far but you've outdone him.
I used to do this in my miata but it was really bad with 4 17'' wheels the wheel on top was a little over the windsheild header and it drew some silly looks for sure.

Jer, your idea is great and eliminates the trailer to make driving to events a joy rather than a chore. Too bad you didn't make to sunday the course was much more fun running in reverse with few minor alterations plus you could have driven my car for fun since I owe you lots of fun runs by now.

Nate

·
Registered
269 Posts
Surferjer said:
My trailer's electrical shorted out on the way toDevens last week in the hurricane rains, and I didn't get it fixed yet. Last night I decided I wasn't burned out on racing, just on the whole trailer front. Which got me thinking-how else can get the tires to the track?

I remember Stan telling me about the European racers using the top of the car, and I got to measuring. Two tires WILL fit inside (205s). hmmm. I got my dusty hardtop out of the closet. My surfboard rack WILL fit the hardtop!! hmmmmmm yep, we have a solution. Here is proof.
Great idea an execution :clap:

Can you provide a little bit more detail (maybe pic without tires on roof?) as to how did you attach the surfboard rack to the hardtop and then tires to the rack?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post more stuff later. I'm in Manhattan with the family and access is slow and limited. More pics to come!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Surferjer said:
I will post more stuff later. I'm in Manhattan with the family and access is slow and limited. More pics to come!
Hi Jer,

Do you have any photo showing the rack? What brand and type of rack do you use?

Thanks,
Solo2Elise

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That rope going over the front edge of the clam is giving me chafing chills. Do you find it worth all that trouble and expense to change out the tires for autocross or HPDE? The stock ones are pretty darn good on the track. The tires can only go through just so many heat cycles on the track before they aren't any good anyway. mg

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Stock == good
Hoosier == great

I'm wating to find out if Jer cracks his hardtop, then I'll be doing the same. But at this point I've been putting so many street miles on the hoosiers, I'll probably just use this technique to get rain tires to the autox. :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, when Chris and Scott and I are racing, it's usually a few tenths between us, and Hoosiers are worth a lot more than a few tenths over any other tires including the M Compound 48s.

I'm trailering my car tomorrow (all electrical is fixed!), but I'll try to snap a pic of my racks for you. Along with Chris, I am concerned about damaging the hard top. The racks pinch tight (have to) and the tires have to put pressure on the top at highway speeds. Although the experiment seemed to succeed, it does make me a bit nervous. If it's the only way I can get Hoosiers to the track, I'll do it. But now I have a trailer again, and my occasional co-driver Nate has carried my tires the last couple of events. So it may be a while before I do the hard top bit again.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still debating keeping the trailer, but for now I'm keeping it. If I need those funds for LSD, it's a goner. I'm just not sure about any of it right now. The electrical on the trailer turned out to be a corroded plug, which got wet and then shorted out. Now that the electrical issues are solved, I have a lot to think about.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jerry, that looks like a good solution, but that fourth picture down reminds me of Mickey Mouse with the big ears on top! Now we have the Orange Pumpkin and Mickey Mouse...

·
Registered
12 Posts
hoosiers

jer, I applaud your ingenuity. I was wondering what type of rims did you mount your hoosiers on? I am looking to get some since my ad07's are not quite enough for autox.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The are SSR comps, very common racing wheels currently out of production but should be back in a few months. I really like the SSRs and no one has shown me a lighter wheel yet. They weigh a lot less than the base suspension wheel, but I don't know exactly how much.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts