The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello,

While I understand there's lots of people who know a lot about the Elise on this site, just be careful as there's also people who will give false info.

I made a few holes in the front of my car when it rubbed against the road, perfectly normal and common, and was told on this site to get it fixed 'within 6 months' or it will crack and get bigger!!! panic.

Went down the Lotus repair shop, they said don't worry about it.

Few weeks ago had an oil line go, and I was reading, 'turn off engine within 20-30 seconds or engine gone 100%...panic', that wasn't the case either. (that's actually good advice though), but engine fine.

So I'm just saying, if you worried about anything, be sure to ask here, but I'd suggest 9 times out of ten going to the experts and getting second opinion.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If an oil line breaks you need to shut down the engine right away. Running an engine ANY amount of time without oil will kill it in short order.

This isn't info I have pulled from a website BTW, I am a mechanic, went to school for gas and diesel automotive, class 8 trucks and heavy equipment and have been turning wrenches almost all my life.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you ran your engine 30 or more seconds after oil line failure, and if you did no damage, you were atypically lucky.
Any place a fiberglass panel is damaged *can* create a stress point for cracks to spread from; the person who warned you of that *risk* gave cautious but good advice.
Bad things don't happen every time, some people have good luck. I tend to not trust luck as a mechanism for success.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Ello,

While I understand there's lots of people who know a lot about the Elise on this site, just be careful as there's also people who will give false info.

I made a few holes in the front of my car when it rubbed against the road, perfectly normal and common, and was told on this site to get it fixed 'within 6 months' or it will crack and get bigger!!! panic.

Few weeks ago had an oil line go, and I was reading, 'turn off engine within 20-30 seconds or engine gone 100%...panic', that wasn't the case either. (that's actually good advice though), but engine fine.

So I'm just saying, if you worried about anything, be sure to ask here, but I'd suggest 9 times out of ten going to the experts and getting second opinion.
i just did a small fiberglass repair on my nose - there was a crack which i stabilized with tape until the repair. Even so, the crack spread a little bit. If you have a crack - it will spread and you would have to be an idiot to ignore it. A hole might be different though. Glad it worked out for you. Did Lotus just repair the single oil line? Or all of them?
Also - installation of polycarbonate clam plates will prevent you from wearing those holes in your clam.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes I agree, which is why I put, 'that's actually good advice though'

Obviously an engine needs oil, and it is important to stop ASAP.

Here is good example.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/oil-line-ruptured-bay-bridge-111911/

'I think if it pops at one of the front crimps then you might be right but if it pops at the plate in the back then your engines toast.'

That's false information. The advice should be to not panic, get it checked by an expert, and hopefully things will be fine. If engine was not making strange noises, then fingers crossed things are good. Rather than , 'panic..engines probably toast!'

There are lots of examples I could post.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes, Lotus repaired it, and the repair shop/ dealer were amazing. I had a really bad weekend worrying, but things worked out good in the end.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Notorious,
The coating additives might buy you a few more seconds, but not much more. Don't fall for the old slick 50 advertisements which made it sound like you could drive all day without oil.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't think either of those recommendations could be considered "false info".

Instead of coming here gloating about how your engine isn't destroyed, you should be thanking whatever God you believe in or if you are atheist finding one because running an engine with no oil in it for 30+ seconds (as you seem to be suggesting) and not destroying it is "higher power at work" lucky.

I highly recommend that you don't let your pride get to you and make a habit out of not listening to good, helpful advice on here. But hey, it is your car so do as you may.

Ello,

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
engine toast

I don't think either of those recommendations could be considered "false info".

Instead of coming here gloating about how your engine isn't destroyed, you should be thanking whatever God you believe in or if you are atheist finding one because running an engine with no oil in it for 30+ seconds (as you seem to be suggesting) and not destroying it is "higher power at work" lucky.

I highly recommend that you don't let your pride get to you and make a habit out of not listening to good, helpful advice on here. But hey, it is your car so do as you may.
I would say almost all advice on this forum is sound & only to help others out, not that there aren't exceptions --but I can attest that when my oil light came on at low rpm's at highway speeds, that I immediately slowed down to pull off road, & just before coming to a stop, heard a sm eng noise & car shut off - my oil line problem was in right front side & my eng was toast & just replaced, & this happened in less then 30 sec's ---05 elise NA,single cooler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts