The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As title states I will (finally) be supercharging my Elise now that there is a CARB certified option available :up:

This seems like a good time to make other mods, so was wondering if anyone would like to make recommendations for others they think would make sense to do at the same time.

Notes:
- Current plans also include a 2bular 8x22 exhaust and motor mount inserts.
- All mods must be street legal for CA.

Opinions and insights appreciated,

Larry

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
clutch, flywheel...I would def spend money on handling and suspension components, and if you can change your seat

as for the street legal part...really? I mean I respect the intention, but in CA random seemingly benign parts are not "street legal" and I'm not even talking about a decat or anything. That 2bular isn't "street legal" I think under current laws is it?

Of all the things to get nabbed over, people get the front plate ticket - but I've never had a cop ask me where my cat is, what exhaust it is, who makes the supercharger, what's that black box sticking out of your car, what tires or those, what is that header, who makes the ECU, or anything like that...has that happened to anyone?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If you want to be 100% legal anything thats a change to part of the emission chain isn't a legal mod, some CARB, some federal. A lot of people incorrectly assume that only CARB states have these rules, when its related to the emissons/cat its a federal law.

so anything that alters back pressure or could change the way the CAT works, is against federal law.

then there is the dB rating, which varies

if for some reason they try to enforce it then there is a provision that if you have it tested and its not effecting emissions you're ok, but it has to go to a state testing facility under your dime, which if memory serves is $2,000.

Also CARB doesn't override federal law, its very rare but possible for the feds to say that a CARB approved mod has to be tested if they feel its adversely affecting the emissions output.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
If you want to be 100% legal anything thats a change to part of the emission chain isn't a legal mod, some CARB, some federal. A lot of people incorrectly assume that only CARB states have these rules, when its related to the emissons/cat its a federal law.

so anything that alters back pressure or could change the way the CAT works, is against federal law.

if for some reason they try to enforce it then there is a provision that if you have it tested and its not effecting emissions you're ok, but it has to go to a state testing facility under your dime, which if memory serves is $2,000.

Also CARB doesn't override federal law, its very rare but possible for the feds to say that a CARB approved mod has to be tested if they feel its adversely affecting the emissions output.
I have the 8" 2bular exhaust - you will be above 100 db.

I know this courtesy of Laguna Seca :shift:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Stan's shifter mod, reenforcer, Green air filter, new battery. Along with the motor mount inserts, I'd do all that yourself it's easy and a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 8" 2bular exhaust - you will be above 100 db.

I know this courtesy of Laguna Seca :shift:
Hmmm I thought the 8" was supposed to be quieter than their 7" exhaust, which was supposed to be around 96db. I will need to investigate. Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Clearly I need to do more homework :eek:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hmmm I thought the 8" was supposed to be quieter than their 7" exhaust, which was supposed to be around 96db. I will need to investigate. Thanks!
The 8" Larini is under 92 dB at Laguna. But like all aftermarket option is not officially "street legal"

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 8" Larini is under 92 dB at Laguna. But like all aftermarket option is not officially "street legal"
Thanks RNR! I spoke to Jim and I do not believe I will have any issues. And if I do, he will make every effort to resolve them. He really seems (as Randy said in one of his posts - memory going so I'm paraphrasing) like a very classy/upstanding guy, who cares passionately about his work.

Larry

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for the legal info Charlie! Hopefully I will get to meet you in Nov.
Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts