The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember seeing a pic somewhere of a rack fitted to the Elise, and four tires strapped to it.

Does anyone know have info on such a rack? I typically like to drive to the track on street rubber (doubling as rain tires) and mount up R comps in the paddock. I've seen S2000 guys mount a small trailer to the car, but I'm not too keen on that, given the complexity/sophistication of the aluminum chassis.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
i've seen people that had fabric "tire bags" made to fit their wheels/tires, and then just put them in the passenger seat.

but i'm sure that's not going to happen with the elise being as small as it is.

I was just planning on driving my stickies down to the track ... it's only 30min door-to-pit-out. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ace3 said:
I was just planning on driving my stickies down to the track ... it's only 30min door-to-pit-out. ;)
You lucky bassard. ;)

You know, perhaps it's not too much of an issue with such a lightweight car. With my M3, every weekend is an opportunity to cord a tire, whether Hooters, Kumhos, Toyos. Perhaps with a 2,000 lb car, tire wear so much more gradual, that I can better gauge whether a set of tires with a few weekends will continue to last.

I know those Miata guys go, like, all season on one set of R comps. ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I regularly drive my R compound tires to the event with my Seven, at least at 1250 pounds the wear is not significant. In the UK many Seven owners use street legal R compound tires for their regular street tires. Mostly Avon ACB-10s and CR500s. I would hate to get caught in a rain storm though on the ACB-10s.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
frayed said:
You lucky bassard. ;)

You know, perhaps it's not too much of an issue with such a lightweight car. With my M3, every weekend is an opportunity to cord a tire, whether Hooters, Kumhos, Toyos. Perhaps with a 2,000 lb car, tire wear so much more gradual, that I can better gauge whether a set of tires with a few weekends will continue to last.

I know those Miata guys go, like, all season on one set of R comps. ;)
You're probably right.

My previous track car was about 2400lbs, and i got a LOT of life out of my Toyo RA-1's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts