The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the "Official Lotus USA Forum". Lotus Admin is digging a legal hole for Lutus Cars USA on warranty issues, by making blanket statements that non-licensed products will void your warranty. I guess we should be careful about putting aftermarket shift knobs on our cars. That's OK, when Lotus denies a warranty claim we will be able to easily win because he has stated their willful intent not to follow federal warranty laws. I think that will get me treble damages in Texas.

I know I was pushing it a bit, but he can be such a jerk.

All he had to do was say "may jeopardize portions of your warranty", "of course Lotus will follow federal laws on the issue of warranties" and "Lotus Cars USA does not endores these products" and other qualifying statements. But he has to be the man in charge.

Rant Off

Greg

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It was nice knowing you Greg...

:p

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yea, saw that thread. Guess that depends on one's perceptions. Really don't' think of LA as the legal arm of Lotus. The point he was trying to make was after market mods... he shouldn't be taken too literally. Don't know if you were on there earlier board much, he's seem to have gotten a lot better. :eek:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy,

:) I may get banned for teling the truth and arguing with the boss. Oh well, if I can't post there, that's OK.

LarryB,

Yeah, I was there from the beggining of the first board. I realize that he is probably just a contractor doing their website. I don't take him too seriously, but it is linked from the Lotus Cars USA website and the banner indicates that it is the "official" Lotus Cars USA forum. He has several times implied what he said was official from Lotus. Others may think what he says is straight from Lotus USA.

As such he needs to be very careful, not only what he says but how he says it. That is probably why most manufactures don't have official forums. They can get them in legal hot water. I work for a large global corporation, very little, if anything, goes out on our public website that is not reviewed by our legal staff.

He has gotten better.

Greg

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
This is just my opinion, but then I don't speak for anyone. :)

The official Lotus forum was not something that was contracted by Lotus to be created.

As you said, hardly any major organizations have official forums, because it leads to a lot of issues. Who speaks for whom? What is the official word? Can they censor people that have problems? Can the factory control what the people are posting if they don't like it? It becomes a difficult thing.

I took over a site for the SCCA and redid it. One decision I made was to create an unofficial forum, that is indicated as such. Run by plain old idiots like myself. And removed the official forums. Because otherwise, any communication on an official site should really go thru the proper channels, the board of directors or management should approve content. And you can't do that on a public board. And trying to straddle that line, can cause a lot of understandable frustration.

I agree with you that anything posted by someone called LOTUS ADMIN will be seen as representative of the factory. I can't imagine thinking a new person would come onto that forum and think otherwise.

Just my 2 cents, from being in the forum business.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Tend to look at it as a message board... being "official" does put it into a different light. They seem to have problems trying to find the right approach. The real problems start to crop up after the car is here and issues with the dealers, service, warranty work etc. start to crop up. It's going to be a real can of worms for them. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts