The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything in particular I should Be concerned about with the garage jacking up my 2005 Elise? I just got it two weeks ago, but I see a lot of threads on jacking these cars up safely. A little nervous about letting them do it if they haven’t worked on a Lotus before. Any pointers?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Have them do one side at a time. Bring a hockey puck or an old paperback book with you... they should have rubber pads as well.

One jack at the correct point will lift the entire side easily.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
Most jack's say they are meant for lifting and lowering only, and jack stands must be used to keep the car up. I assume that's no different here. But I do see several persons just use jacks on youtube.

This video might help you get an idea of the process. I have not yet done it myself, so I understand your intimidation. :)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't make this more difficult than it has to be... a floor jack will keep the car up just fine while replacing tires at a tire shop.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thank you everyone! Appreciate the input! Only had it two weeks so I’m still cautious. I’m sure the garage knows what they are doing.
Don't be so sure of the garage knowing what they're doing.

But do as the above stated. One low profile jack at the point in front of the rear tire should lift up the entire side. Bring a rubber pad or hockey puck if you have one. The jack will hold fine for a simple tire swap.

Look under your car and make sure the stickers indicating your jack points are still there. The problem that people run into is that if they lift all 4 wheels up by the indicated stickers under the car...it'll be unbalanced and rear heavy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be so sure of the garage knowing what they're doing.

But do as the above stated. One low profile jack at the point in front of the rear tire should lift up the entire side. Bring a rubber pad or hockey puck if you have one. The jack will hold fine for a simple tire swap.

Look under your car and make sure the stickers indicating your jack points are still there. The problem that people run into is that if they lift all 4 wheels up by the indicated stickers under the car...it'll be unbalanced and rear heavy.
Yeah...I showed him the jack points and he jacked up one side and it was fine. Then he tried to jack up the other side and the car was wobbly so I asked him to put it down and do one side at a time which worked perfectly fine. All went well. Got Conti Extreme Contacts on it, and they ride very smoothly ride now. Going to put a little work on them later to see how they handle. Appreciate your help!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah...I showed him the jack points and he jacked up one side and it was fine. Then he tried to jack up the other side and the car was wobbly so I asked him to put it down and do one side at a time which worked perfectly fine. All went well. Got Conti Extreme Contacts on it, and they ride very smoothly ride now. Going to put a little work on them later to see how they handle. Appreciate your help!!
I had a set of ExtremeContacts on my old E46 BMW, and loved them. Decent grip, pretty low noise, good tread life and as you say, a smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
People are fixated on hockey pucks. Do not use those.

From my New Elise Owner Notes:

13, Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

---------

Give shop copies of instruction pages in Owners' Manual.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Never "assume" a tire shop guy knows what he is doing. Talk it through with him first, have him repeat it back, and then watch them like a hawk. These cars are fine as long as it is done RIGHT and things go bad fast when it is not done right. See above picture, car was only a few weeks old too.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
43 Posts
Yeah, I had good luck with discount tire a couple weeks ago overall, but they didn't know how to jack the car up. They were very receptive to instruction, though. Pretty sure they just thought it was cool and kind of exiting to have an interesting car in the bay.

As others stated: one side at a time, at the jacking point just in front of the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I take my wheels off in my own garage and bring them to the tire place to mount new tires and spin balance them. I don’t trust a tire shop to put a Lotus on a two post lift.

If the shop uses the lift points marked under the Elise or Exige and takes the front wheels off first, the front of the car is very light and can easily tip backwards (example of the photo in this post). Exercise caution with any tire shop and a Lotus.

If you have the MWR lift points installed on the rear, no issues.

Reactions: Scottyhoop

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran it all day and had a blast...took a quick run out to grab dinner and this happened. The tire was literally like 7 hours old....

·
Registered
956 Posts
What is that? Glass? That really bites!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
oh my gosh....sorry to see that. That is quite large... whatever it is.

·
Administrator
1,526 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts