The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been so nervous to undertake this task that I’ve waited for nearly a year of ownership to finally bite the bullet. It’s small progress, but it feels good. Looking forward to continuing to get to know this car in and out.

Someone tell me I’m not alone here :LOL:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I like to support the rear of the car with jack stands at the “C” points, that way you have way.... more room to get under and do some work. Also don’t forget to use some safety as in wooden blocks just in case something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Looks solid! Now while up consider changing...... you know a bunch hahaha Tommy

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to support the rear of the car with jack stands at the “C” points, that way you have way.... more room to get under and do some work.
Just brake work for now, so should have plenty of room! Appreciate the tip though for next time.
Looks solid! Now while up consider changing...... you know a bunch hahaha Tommy
Haha, right!?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I waited a couple months myself.. then another few day as the flat pad jacks showed up for the front. I actually like standard jacks at the rear to "lock" on the D jack points on the chassis. Looks good!

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige S240
53 Posts
I’ve not had a chance to lift mine yet, but I have the short version of those jack stands on the way and a Nifty Lifty to avoid removing the under-tray if not required. I still need to buy a new floor jack.
Just for clarity, what were the steps you used to lift? Will using the Nifty Lifty be different? I assume it requires me to lift from the rear center as the final step.

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
494 Posts
For me at least, I use the "A" jack points to lift a side at a time if just swapping wheel/tires. To put on stands, I had to experiment slightly, but with the same "A" jack points, it raised enough to easily reach rear splitter panel. once that was off, putting flat pad stands at "B" and then standard type jacks at "D". I believe the nifty may aid primarily in diffuser panel?

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve not had a chance to lift mine yet, but I have the short version of those jack stands on the way and a Nifty Lifty to avoid removing the under-tray if not required. I still need to buy a new floor jack.
Just for clarity, what were the steps you used to lift? Will using the Nifty Lifty be different? I assume it requires me to lift from the rear center as the final step.

Cheers,
Bryan
The steps were straight forward, just took a while to complete. eres the route I took:
  1. Jack up one side from jack point A
  2. Place jack stand on jack point B
  3. Place race ramp below rear tire
  4. Repeat for other side
  5. Remove under tray
  6. Remove diffuser
  7. Jack up from between D jack points
  8. Place jack stands on each D jack points
You can remove steps 5 and 6 if you’re using a nifty lifty. If I did it again, I’d probably back the car onto the ramps to remove the undertray and diffuser, then be able to place jack stands on both ends while jacking from point A at the start. Multiple steps either way though.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige S240
53 Posts
Place race ramp below rear tire
Thanks for your reply! I had wondered about access to the rear either for the Nifty Lifty or removing the panels - guess I need to add a set of ramps to my shopping list.

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
482 Posts
The steps were straight forward, just took a while to complete. eres the route I took:
  1. Jack up one side from jack point A
  2. Place jack stand on jack point B
  3. Place race ramp below rear tire
  4. Repeat for other side
  5. Remove under tray
  6. Remove diffuser
  7. Jack up from between D jack points
  8. Place jack stands on each D jack points
You can remove steps 5 and 6 if you’re using a nifty lifty. If I did it again, I’d probably back the car onto the ramps to remove the undertray and diffuser, then be able to place jack stands on both ends while jacking from point A at the start. Multiple steps either way though.
This is what I do as well. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Those of you who are timid need to go ahead and get all four corners up in the air and all wheels off. Just to do it. Then can freely move on to the fun that Lotus ownership brings us.

This is serious stuff but this little car is very easy to work with.

Warning: since it’s so easy to do so much with these cars, it can take a life of its own. One day you realize there is a transmission in the corner.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
163 Posts
Somehow that doesn't look that easy!! But it's rewarding.
While your in there cut off the bob weight off shift linkage
on trans.Saves 1# and it won't wear a hole in your hoses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts