The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least some of us will inevitably get pulled over for speeding in our Elise, radar detector or not. My friend got out of a ticket once by placing his keys in the dash. What?

Apparantly in this area if you place your keys on the dash as soon as you get pulled over, it's and indication to the cop the you have a cop in your family and they sometimes give you a break because of that. Some sort of secet code supposedly. Any urban legends like this in your area?

I know being polite is a good start but the key thing I doubt.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Around here some people have a little purple bear sticker in their back windows. This girl I know has one and she says her uncle is a cop and all the cops' families put them in their back windows to get out of tickets. I forgot to ask the significance of the purple bear! Kinda stupid and apparently it doesn't work too well because she just got a ticket for running a yellowish/red light last week.

I can see it backfiring on people. The cops thinking "oh you think you are gonna get away with this because of your little purple bear? I'll show you!"

·
Registered
825 Posts
I always toss my keys on the dash and put my arms out over the wheel. Not (intentionally) using a secret code, just trying to make the cop feel as safe as possible. I know I'd appreciate that if I were in his position, having just pulled over some lunatic for slaloming through traffic cones at 110mph while racing a schoolbus full of nuns. <g>

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Huggy Bear, heres how you can avoid it--- Show them your Avatar!!!!

In NJ they have PBA badges that you get if a family member is a police officer and you stick them in your back window. I heard that once a year they tell all the cops to take them out of the windows so they can find out who has fake ones.

I used to get PBA cards from some of the Police Chiefs I knew when I was in NJ. I also happenned to work for one of the largest banks in the state at the time and at one time had worked in about 20 different branches over a 10 year period, so I knew most of the cops and detectives since we used to work together to catch crooks. There is so much traffic in NJ that is almost impossible to speed. In FL, they dont give speeding tickets unless you are driving like an idiot and weaving in and out of traffic. I have gone by speed traps doing 80 and havent gotten pulled over. One time I was doing 120 and got behind a state government car and blew by them. I was sure they were going to radio the cops, but they never did. However, I had my flashers on and was on the way to the hospital and didnt tailgate or cut anybody off so they may have let me slide.

I only got one speeding ticket in my life, and it turns out that the cop was dating my brothers neighbor. He gave me the ticket on a Saturday night and on Sunday morning I went to visit my brother and he went to visit his girlfriend. Me... Hmm your boyfriend looks familiar....Him... hmm that car in the driveway that you just got out of looks familiar...Me.... Oh crap, your the guy who gave me the ticket!!! We both had a good laugh.. too bad I didnt know him beforehand, but I was speeding and didnt realize I was going that fast so I deserved the ticket.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Forget the keys. I lay out some Krispy Kremes on the dash.

Works every time.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Well, that would explain the avatar :D
Go easy on her. She's in training as the site mascot.

Although, the corner balancing's gonna be a little tricky...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
You just have to find a road where there are only right turns!
Now that you mention it, she does sorta strike me as a Nascar kinda gal...

Will just have to convince Jeb & Billy Bob they've been driving the wrong way the whole time. :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
i am friends with a cop around here and he showed me the sticker on the back of his family car that indicates to other cops that they are a "police family" i am working on getting one. i have already traded a ride in the lotus for a night on patrol. i sign a waver and i get to ride with him on friday night from 6pm to 10pm all i got to say is BAD BOYS BAD BOYS WHAT U GONNA DO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts