The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know, i know, i'm just asking for it with that title...

does anyone get their lotus serviced in manhattan? i'm afraid to go to Manhattan motor cars (or whatever it's called) because i know from experience they'll try and fleece me....

any suggestions?

thanks

phil

·
Registered
443 Posts
i know, i know, i'm just asking for it with that title...

does anyone get their lotus serviced in manhattan? i'm afraid to go to Manhattan motor cars (or whatever it's called) because i know from experience they'll try and fleece me....

any suggestions?

thanks

phil
Phil,

I bought my Lotus from Manhattan Motor Cars but have had it serviced at HRM. The only other officially certified Lotus service center is Park Ave. Lotus. The problem with using them is figuring out how to get back home (Queens) after I leave the Elise there.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
FWIW: I just had a service at MMC. Labor rates are $175 hr.
I guess quite a bit of that goes towards real estate overheads.

Since I'm now out of warranty, I may go to the Lotus Underground next time
if they are up and running with the same guys who used to work at HRM.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I called RS today to make an appt and there was a message they are closed for a week...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had 3,000 mile work done this week at Park Ave. Lotus. They did a good job and were very easy to work with. They even gave me a loaner to get home. It was a Taurus. Ugh. (I think the Taurus wouldn't be so bad if it had manual transmission. It liked to stay at about 2,000 rpm, which means almost no power. Nothing you could do about the handling, though. Like a boat.)

Now my Elise has adequate air conditioning! :clap:

Some of the work, e.g. the a/c, was warranty work. That's why I didn't go to Lotus Underground.

One shortcoming - they didn't have a rear tire in stock. They ordered it, it should be available next week.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not an official lotus dealer: Intermecanica in Mamanoreck. Owned by head mechanic HRM. Labor: $95/hr, not the Manhattan overhead apparently.
I get my Elise services there, no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I had 3,000 mile work done this week at Park Ave. Lotus. They did a good job and were very easy to work with. They even gave me a loaner to get home. It was a Taurus. Ugh. (I think the Taurus wouldn't be so bad if it had manual transmission. It liked to stay at about 2,000 rpm, which means almost no power. Nothing you could do about the handling, though. Like a boat.)

Some of the work, e.g. the a/c, was warranty work. That's why I didn't go to Lotus Underground.

One shortcoming - they didn't have a rear tire in stock. They ordered it, it should be available next week.

Nice to know. I'll go pay them a visit.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Not an official lotus dealer: Intermecanica in Mamanoreck. Owned by head mechanic HRM. Labor: $95/hr, not the Manhattan overhead apparently.
I get my Elise services there, no complaints whatsoever.
do you know if they can do the 1k service/ ECU dumps?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

I'll ask him tomorrow when I go to pick up my car.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts

Lol. I've driven the same Taurus many times due to my idling problems. The last time I was there; they actually rented me a car from Enterprise because the Taurus wasn't available. They gave me a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ask for Tom Shou; he's a cool guy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm pretty sure they can do that...
but I would be more concerned about Lotus giving you a hard time about warranty because they're not an official Lotus repair shop (it's a b/s reason in this case: they garage owner worked for an official Lotus repair shop, now that he has his own garage he is suddenly incompetent per Lotus????). Check your repair booklet to figure this out.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I'm planning on coming up for the event on the 17th. If this is still an issue, we should make a point to discuss the concerns in more depth and come up with a plan to address them.

I know that the closing of HRM has caused a gap in coverage for the regional owners but I can assure everyone that Lotus Cars USA is doing everything they can to remedy the situation. In the meantime, as I mentioned before, if there is anything I can do to assist you, let me know. I have already helped out several former HRM owners regarding sales and service. My cell is always on and my email always open.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I'm planning on coming up for the event on the 17th. If this is still an issue, we should make a point to discuss the concerns in more depth and come up with a plan to address them.

I know that the closing of HRM has caused a gap in coverage for the regional owners but I can assure everyone that Lotus Cars USA is doing everything they can to remedy the situation. In the meantime, as I mentioned before, if there is anything I can do to assist you, let me know. I have already helped out several former HRM owners regarding sales and service. My cell is always on and my email always open.

Thanks. I have a couple questions to ask sometime.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
They likely can do the dump. The problem is that there are several other authorized option available to you in the region. If you lived in Montana, you could get away with going to an unauthorized repair point for warranty work but being that Park Avenue, Valenti, Manhattan and RS are within resonable traveling distance, you are capitated to one of the authorized facilities.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Take the 7 home.

Phil,

I bought my Lotus from Manhattan Motor Cars but have had it serviced at HRM. The only other officially certified Lotus service center is Park Ave. Lotus. The problem with using them is figuring out how to get back home (Queens) after I leave the Elise there.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

What's on the 17th? GPNY?

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm facing the same issue. I live in NYC, keep the car in Westchester so it is a huge pain for me to go and get it serviced.

I'm going to need an oil change soon...would love to learn to do it myself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts