The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rev310M62 or the Rev300TVS?

Was initially leaning on a Katana2 but not sure. I lean on T.J's advice a lot on my car and he hasn't been wrong yet. He has done a lot of Katana2 installs and no problems yet.

I am considering in addition to a SC the following:

Catch Can
Findanza Flywheel, New Clutch
GPAN

NA 2006 street car only w/ 55k miles. Everything on the transmission and engine is original.

I do have a budget, which I think I'm going to top out on. I wanted to stay at 9k. I don't think that is remotely possible unless the labor was free... So I may have to make concessions.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,516 Posts
Maybe a call to BOE to discuss your goals and potential future upgrades would help make the choice easier.

I’d go with the TVS, from what I’ve read it seems to be the better blower. I currently have the stock blower and will be torn between upgrading around it or buying the TVS when that time comes.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,988 Posts
I would go TVS. Less complication (non-intercooled) and seeing that the MP62 is no longer in production getting spares for the TVS will be easier.

Based on my past experience with both BOE & Sector 111, I would lean towards BOE. Phil has always offered great customer service and support. Plus I think his tuning options are better than what Sector 111 can offer.

As far as saving cost here are my thoughts:

- Catch cans: Probably aren't needed unless you have an intercooler in the system. You can save some money here by not purchasing them, but will depend on your supercharger kit.

- Flywheel & Clutch: Probably not required. I have 300-315 hp on the stock flywheel and clutch with no issues. If you don't abuse it you should be fine, especially since you don't track the car. I would upgrade the power, and when/if the clutch starts going then I would upgrade it. This way you can save some money. There really isn't much of a cost benefit to install a supercharger and clutch/flywheel at the same time either, so I would hold off.

-Gpan: not a bad upgrade, especially if you think you will ever track it. Probably not strictly necessary but it is cheap insurance.

...so that's my 2 cents... Save some money and don't install the clutch and flywheel until your stock one starts to act up and only install catch cans if your supercharger kit has an intercooler.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just did a REV300 myself and can tell you that it is a very well thought out kit and I love the results!

I did a g-pan3 at the same time and considered the clutch as well as a LSD. I decided to wait on both until the stock clutch acts up, I had 21,000 miles when I did the work. Since then I have only put about 1,000 miles on but the clutch seems to be doing fine and I don't see a real need to add a LSD.

The advantage in doing the clutch now is that you will already have the rear clam removed. With 55k on the stock clutch, I am not sure what I would do.

I would also consider changing the rear toe-links if you haven't yet. I have a set ready to install, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I went through the same analysis two months ago and decided on the REV300.

To me, it came down to buying older technology stretched to its limits (MP62 w/ intercooler), or newer technology that's easily upgradable (TVS/REV300).

When you throw in the issue of tuning, the decision becomes even more obvious.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would also go with the REV300 over the MP62 for simplicity of install.

Two things I would definitely purchase in addition to whichever kit you choose is:

1- A catch can set up (anything you can do to keep oil out of the intake track on a forced induction car is very important to help prevent against detonation)

2- A wideband O2 sensor (air-fuel ratio's are very important to monitor in a forced induction setup. Even if you have a perfectly tuned car today things can change and you might end up running lean if you are not monitoring this from time to time) An example of this is my car started out with perfect air fuel ratios at WOT after the REV400 install... after a week or two I noticed it getting leaner and leaner. Found out the 255lph in tank pump was over whelming the pressure regulator and causing the ecu to take fuel out to compensate for the extra fuel pressure.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
TVS or nothing. Trust me. :)

Had a MP62 Katana for almost years... then jumped to the TVS for the past five years.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
God the decisions are endless... But the a wideband 02 sensor seems very smart.
What about the Vision Function SC's withe the Charlie X Tunes? Anyone want to chime in on that?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would just add one of those bottles of NOS and a big decal too, yo! :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
What about the Vision Function SC's withe the Charlie X Tunes?
As an added bonus, when you buy a Vision Function SC you get a cardboard box that's pre-addressed so you can mail in your ECU for your crappy flash :clap::clap::clap:

BOE/Flashworks - nuff said. :bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
945 Posts
What about the Vision Function SC's withe the Charlie X Tunes? Anyone want to chime in on that?
CharlieX stepped out of Lotus tuning years ago. I think that the VF crew has enough of his software that they can still modify some of the maps and the cam switchover, but their package is nowhere near as complete as the BOE+Fastworks "Torque" tunes or even the Kold-Fire tuning packages.

Here's an obviously biased comparison from Phil:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2156834-post28.html

And a whole thread containing this exact debate:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f171/ecu-tune-charlie-x-149130/

As for superchargers, I'm in the same boat as you and I think when I do make the leap I'll go for a BOE TVS setup.

If I had to strap on a supercharger for the absolute lowest cost, I'd buy a used Katana or OEM pulled MP62 and pay Phil to tune the setup, but unless you're getting a deal on an MP62, the TVS seems the way to go.

With the TVS, rather than running the blower way up top and outside of its optimal efficiency, you end up with headroom for if/when you get better charge cooling or build the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I installed a VF2, Radium surge tank and catch can's and Gpan on Kim's car during my short time home. Get a hold of her to drive it. I have to say her car is faster than mine, definitely quicker. (I hang my head in shame)

Jermaine does the tunes now and he has helped me and several of my buddies whether they bought equipment from him or not, he has been very helpful all the way around.

I also installed the Radium easy clam removal kit so that I only had to pull the interior once.

I think you have her number or pm her so you two can hook up. It was very straight forward install and I did it in a few days.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
REV TVS. There is no substitute.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
With that said. I was very happy with my Katana 2 that I had previously before I went with my VF2. I only went for more power because I was street racing my friends GTR

Matters what your doing and or what results you are looking for with your car.

Katana 2 is simple and adds a lot of pep for the price. If you want to keep up with Kim then go with the other options ;)

If you want that glorious supercharger whine then go with a MP62. Kim and I love that crazy loud intake and supercharger sound, but that is us...

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,988 Posts
Just noticed you have an '06... That being the case I would say that the BOE REV kit is by far the best option because you can take advantage of the new fastworks tuning software which is miles better than everything else on the market!

Remember the tune is going to be one of the most important items needed for the car to run properly so do your homework!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Are their any BOE kits in the Chicago area? I have ran into several Katana equipped cars and a few VF2's at the track but I have never seen one in real life. I know Josh got a REV400 but he has never brought it to any of the drives or track days/autocross's and I have not seen him post anything about driving it here or on FB.

I would like to see one

1 - 20 of 40 Posts