The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing the Mishimoto sandwich plate, I noticed my oil line crimps didn't look so crimped... The car had them recalled but I don't trust them, and didn't really want to replace them with non-oem parts in case they blew, voiding the recall warranty.

I was contemplating getting a remote pump hydraulic crimper to crimp them down a bit. This would allow crimping without disassembly of the lines. Your thoughts?

crimp.JPG

·
He's on fire!
3,286 Posts
Part of the recall is utilizing an oetiker crimping tool with a specified calibration. Overcrimping the oetiker clamps is bad too, so you may in fact do more harm than good "crimping them down a bit." Without a picture or further details... i say leave it alone

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the recall is utilizing an oetiker crimping tool with a specified calibration. Overcrimping the oetiker clamps is bad too, so you may in fact do more harm than good "crimping them down a bit." Without a picture or further details... i say leave it alone
My lines don't have the Oetiker clamps...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Are they showing any signs of weeping/leaking? My recall lines had these labels:

IMG_0828.JPG

Reactions: mattjk

·
Lotus Technician
105 Posts
If you dont have Oetiker clamps on both lines at sandwich plate, and the wheel well side of the coolers, the recall has not been done or at least not properly.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, no stickers, no signs of leaking... I guess I need to contact another lotus dealer for the facts.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Agreed Twaszak!

Mine has both clamps & crimps done as recall:

IMG_0826.JPG

Reactions: mattjk

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am the 3rd owner of this 2008 Exige...

The 2009 Elise I used to own, that was purchased new by me, and was not a part of the recall. Both cars have the same looking oil lines, without the Oetiker clamps.

Are they all failing at this point? I've read even some 2011 Elises have oil lines fail.

·
Lotus Technician
105 Posts
All Elise / Exige within the Federal Market have an oil line recall. 2005-2007 was under 2012/01R, 2008+ was under 2014/01R. You likely owned the 2009 prior to the intro of the later addition to the recall. The lines do fail, and with the age of the recall, collateral damage is not being covered under warranty in most situations anymore.

I sent you a PM @mattjk

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received your PM and replied, TJ, thank you!

Damn, I hate taking my cars to the dealer. I would rather do the work myself... If they are no longer covering engine damage, that just makes me want to do the work myself even more.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Received your PM and replied, TJ, thank you!

Damn, I hate taking my cars to the dealer. I would rather do the work myself... If they are no longer covering engine damage, that just makes me want to do the work myself even more.
If they do the recall improperly, you have a massive argument for them covering engine damage anyways. If you suffer damage because you either did not address the recall or did it improperly yourself, you're hosed. I'd take the dealer route if only to have a backup plan if things go bad.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone, and especially Twaszak! I will be taking it to the dealer to handle this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts