The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Heading to the Detroit jazz festival this weekend. Did you ever get your camera setup to work? Have you tried Torque for android? If you are interested, you can try my setup before you head to Gingerman.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heading to the Detroit jazz festival this weekend. Did you ever get your camera setup to work? Have you tried Torque for android? If you are interested, you can try my setup before you head to Gingerman.
I have my setup working ok now, except the camera mount which I can't keep tight enough to avoid rattling, which ruins the audio. I have Torque as well as Trackmaster. I like the sensor readings I get from Torque, but its track session logging isn't good enough. I'm going to try running both Torque (for sensors) and Trackmaster (GPS session lapping) at the same time this weekend and see if I can combine them into Dashware. So far I have had a tough time porting over the Torque data into Dashware.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a great time on Saturday! It was nice to see so many Lotus cars out there. One of the event guys asked me "how did this turn into an unofficial Lotus track day?"

The AutoInterests group was very nice and seemed very very well organized. I will definitely try to run with them again in the future.

I hope Sunday was fun for everyone.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey that was fun and a good group. Looked like a mini Lotus convention. Bummer about the green Lotus though.

They're doing Nelson Ledges next weekend, may go too.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hey, the green Lotus ran sunday too. Just didnt get there till noon. (needed girlfriend time) After seeing what my car can really do, I was much faster on sunday and loved the reverse course. I think I was faster on it. (I love decreasing radius corners)

BTW, I asked the instructor to wring out my car, I never had a real idea what my car could do. Now I have a idea. Sunday we talked and he said he lifted about 5% and that caused the spin. We were at about 120 mph through that corner.

My car has so much grip I dont know how I will ever get to that level of skill, let alone learn how to drive the slip angles and flat foot the car around the track like he did. And that was him driving at 85%

Just mind boggling and I'm hooked. Autox was fun but OMG track time just left me speachless with a stupid grin on my face

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's good to hear you were able to run on Sunday. I was the same as you my first track day and I'm hooked now. I learned a lot more from a ride along than from having an instructor sit beside me.

Nelson Ledges is by Cleveland, so it's too far for me, but should be closer for you.

Nelson Ledges Road Course, Ohio 305, Garrettsville, OH

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hey, the green Lotus ran sunday too. Just didnt get there till noon. (needed girlfriend time) After seeing what my car can really do, I was much faster on sunday and loved the reverse course. I think I was faster on it. (I love decreasing radius corners)

BTW, I asked the instructor to wring out my car, I never had a real idea what my car could do. Now I have a idea. Sunday we talked and he said he lifted about 5% and that caused the spin. We were at about 120 mph through that corner.

My car has so much grip I dont know how I will ever get to that level of skill, let alone learn how to drive the slip angles and flat foot the car around the track like he did. And that was him driving at 85%

Just mind boggling and I'm hooked. Autox was fun but OMG track time just left me speachless with a stupid grin on my face
Uhh... 120 mph through exactly what turn at gingerman?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea been to Gingerman countless times.

Out of 9 into 10b is the fastest turn. If you use the curbing on the inside of 9 and track all the way out of 9 (which BTW doesn't seem to be much faster since you have to dart all the way back over and be on the brakes as hard as possible to make 10b) you are going 80ish at the 9 apex and 90, maybe a little more, at track out. I can double check as I have some logs saved somewhere of me on Star Specs.

Honestly 120 at any point for a street tired VF2 car is tough unless you are an advanced driver very comfortable with the car. The track just isn't that long legged even with the extension. Granted I wasn't pushing my car as hard as possible on the straights but I'm an intermediate driver that knows the track pretty well and I have only been into the low 120s myself on the back straight; with a lot more power/torque than a VF2 car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checking my logs from this event (I only ran clockwise on Saturday). I hit a high of 120mph (119.92mph actually) on the back straight with street tires and inadequate brakes. This would be towards the beginning of the session. After that my brakes would fade and my tires would grease up so I wouldn't come out of 10b as fast and I would have to brake earlier for 11 and my top speed dropped several mph.

I've only started attending track days a couple months ago, so I know a good driver (with track tires and brake pads) could hit 120+ easy.

My best time for this event was 1:50:49, so I know I still have a lot of learning to do.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well 120 was the max on that lap from my gps spedo (well as far as we got around that lap)

I was running R888's, track brakes, supsention and the whole car is tweeked out

Pro driver was the most experianced guy they had there for that track.

Not trying to argue. Just what my phone told me.

The whole weekend was quiet humbling

Best I did on the reverse track was 1:57, no numbers for saturday

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just checking my logs from this event (I only ran clockwise on Saturday). I hit a high of 120mph (119.92mph actually) on the back straight with street tires and inadequate brakes. This would be towards the beginning of the session. After that my brakes would fade and my tires would grease up so I wouldn't come out of 10b as fast and I would have to brake earlier for 11 and my top speed dropped several mph.

I've only started attending track days a couple months ago, so I know a good driver (with track tires and brake pads) could hit 120+ easy.

My best time for this event was 1:50:49, so I know I still have a lot of learning to do.

Not sure what car you have or how good of a driver you are. Actually just remoted into my datalogging PC to get some more specifics. And it looks like I never saved them. Just telling you what I remember seeing from the logs and driving it a fair amount. At some point a buddy asked me what my top speed was and we got the idea to check the Hondata. After looking it over I remember saying it was somewhere in the 120s, since he was curious if it got to 130, which I did not. I also remember looking and seeing times all over the board which makes sense given the traffic. The best ones were in the 1:45ish range IIRC.

What I am sure of: As I said in the beginning, no streetable Lotus that I know of is going 120 through a turn at Gingerman.

FWIW here is a video I found of a Elige at Gingerman. He makes mention of the BOE SC, and other mods. Looks fairly prepared. This gives you a rough idea of the speeds:
Gingerman Track day 3 Balls Racing April 14 2012 - YouTube

·
Registered
831 Posts
Glad you had fun out there Sunday cashxdr, that's what it's about.

I'm slower than dirt, so I can say if I hit 110 at the end of the long straight in my NA Elise (the dark blue one) it's been a good lap.

Hi back to Kim, she's pretty cool!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Andy, if you are slower than dirt and were passing me a few weeks ago, there isn't much left for me on the slow scale.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Like I said, I wasnt driving, one of the pro drivers was wringing my car out because I asked him too.

I though all the Lotus's did great, we had quite the presence on the track.

Im sure with me driving I was the slow car of the day(s) since my first track experiance

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes, no streetable lotus could go through that corner at that speed, pretty sure its why we went spinning.

I was just glad to see what my car could really do, quite the eye opening experiance and will take me a long time to get to those speed levels

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I will say when he had it flat footed in 4th, then 5th from 3 to 6, then flat footed the same from 7 through to 10b, I believe my heart was in my throat, and I get shot at for a living.

But damn it was cool!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts