The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lengthy search I could not find the Textar Pad for the Lotus. Lotus wants about 1 gazzilon dollars for their pads so my search for front pads continued.

To complicate the matter I pulled the left front pads so now the car is on jack stands. One Autoparts store had a pad for the Lotus--Repco 17-20217D.

So I set off this morning trying to find pads or it was back to the first place. All the local chains did not know what a Lotus was. Is that built by Audi?? My local Car Quest was helpful but, what he could get did not sound any better than the first place.

For fun I stopped by my local Alfa mechanic and he came up with an exact match from a Alfa Milan. I tried them but, they were way too thick. He could order Porterfields for a Lotus but, I wanted the car back together today.

To make a long story longer, I bought the Repco pads (organic I think). So back to the house and sure enough they were too thick. After about 5 to 10 minutes of sanding per pad on a Delta Bench top sander, they fit.

All went back together and I am slowly breaking them in.

Only one pad was worn out--the left front outside pad and I would say there was only about 1mm before I was touching the rotor with metal.

I will try these pads but, I will continue my search for an affordable replacement for the stock Lotus pad that I do not need to grind down to size.

LPM

·
Registered
386 Posts
I seem to recall someone needed front pads at a recent track event, and I think he called Sector or one of the other sponsors, who told him the rear pads on a Nissan 350Z would work. To be safe, you may want to do a quick search here.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
723 Posts
I will continue my search for an affordable replacement for the stock Lotus pad that I do not need to grind down to size.

LPM
What does affordable mean? Is it solely priced based or does is have a price/performance function?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Lotus wants over $300 per pair, where as aftermarket is $85-125. I gave up my search and bought the Lotus. I don't care how wealthy one is, there is a point where some things seem like gouging, and if there is an equivalent that is just as good, why not buy them?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I seem to recall someone needed front pads at a recent track event, and I think he called Sector or one of the other sponsors, who told him the rear pads on a Nissan 350Z would work. To be safe, you may want to do a quick search here.

Cheers,
-Darryl
Rear pads from a 350z with brembo package will fit the fronts on the elise.
Rear pads from a 90's viper fit on the rears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts