The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...............................just kidding! :)

It's Friday, halfway through May 2004, and one day closer to delivery of the most awesome everyday driving experience on Earth! Soon, we'll step into our every day to see our Elise's waiting and wanting to be driven...willing to thrill all our senses....

Your wives will most certainly be jealous....

Dave

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
A 350Z, wow good thing you're kiddin... It would be really depressing test driving the demo Elise and then having to ride hone in a 350Z. Kinda how I felt a few years ago when I drove a 911 C4 and then had to drive home in a MX6... Up until that point I liked the MX6.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
autoweek has a long term evaluation of the 350 Z this week - they quote numerous readers complaining of multiple problems, several of whom invoked the lemon law....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i'd be curious about the 350z problems. a very good friend (did that sound like a euphemism?) is about to buy one. she needs to hear the dirt

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can tell you all about the Z problems.

First and foremost, the tire alignment problem. It turns out the alignment is hypersensitive and wears down your front tires like crazy. This is a design flaw, and the dealers do not treat this as a serious problem - so they barely extend your tire warranty, then after that your kinda screwed.

The window motors have broken on each window so far. And the trunk latch gets halfway stuck when you open it once - so you have to do it twice.

Oh yeah, and the car gets boring to drive after the first month. The steering is too tight and there is barely any feedback. The Z goes pretty quick and handles better than it should for a +3000lb car. The base model is a definite bargain for what you get - but the car definitely has issues. I dont know if these have been fixed in the newer model cars.

-Whit

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
they also reported significant transmission probs

·
Registered
16 Posts
ivan1 said:
they also reported significant transmission probs
Funny you mentioned that...

My friend of 13 years traded and S2000 in for a 350Z. 3 minths later, the transmission had to be replaced, 2 months after that, the driveshaft cracked.

No more 350Z for him.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
there is a recall for the tire wear thing and a long service bulletin. the thers i have not seen mentioned before

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
But life rarely gives of itself fruitfully without also taking away. We would have enjoyed our time all the more had our 350Z not been plagued with such a nagging tire problem. As soon as a few thousand miles rolled onto the odometer, the Z's Bridge-stones feathered and produced a noise that quickly grew to roaring, unbearable levels. Neither the dealership-or Nissan, for that matter-had a satisfying solution, insisting that swapping the front tires side-to-side and adjusting the toe-in would help. That proved but a bandage; the noise would recur and our patience would wear thin.

Owners found the same with their 350Zs. Of the 72 who wrote us, 54 (mostly owners of 2003 models, but some 2004s as well) suffered the same tire travails, many of them having gone through multiple sets of rubber at unusually low miles. The problem apparently has been addressed, claims Nissan (News, April 26), and fixed outright for '04 models, but it comes too late for our own Z.

But many of those same folks had far worse problems than we, namely, faulty transmissions. Eight owners we heard from had to have their manual trannies replaced, and most of them more than once. Nissan has apparently revised the design of the 350Z's transmission three times now in an effort to correct the problem.

Other reported problems include: poor Bose audio systems, various interior rattles, harsh and/or bouncy suspensions, a tendency to pull right, grease streaks on the windows, and seats that wore out too quickly-for all of which Nissan has issued service advisories (there are more than 30 in all for '03 models). The worst indictments came from the 20 owners who claimed Nissan either feigned ignorance of the problem or simply chose to ignore their complaints, the 10 who swore they'd never purchase another Nissan product again, and the five Z owners who invoked the lemon law.

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=longtermtests&content_code=08291598&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=2132223&record=1

·
Registered
171 Posts
i'd be curious about the 350z problems. a very good friend (did that sound like a euphemism?) is about to buy one. she needs to hear the dirt
I've had no problems with my Z at 30k miles. Absolutely nothing wrong. BUT that said, I can't wait to get rid of it and move to an 06 exige!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts