The Lotus Cars Community banner

Yay or nay?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been making renderings, etc in a few threads here, but finally have the covers back from the machine shop.

It's cut from 0.25" tinted acrylic and feels much lighter than the stock covers

Let me know what you guys think, I'm going to need to find a car to test it on as I'm not brave enough to start popping the vents off just yet

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
glass weighs too much this is way better. Will it stand the heat coming off the engine?
I was thinking about that, and the absolute temperature won't be a problem for acrylic, but the temperature cycles are likely to embrittle it. If it was lexan that might be different.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm going to need to find a car to test it on as I'm not brave enough to start popping the vents off just yet
I haven't seen the Microsoft approach to tuner parts before. Use my stuff on YOUR valuable project before I will use it on MY valuable project...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about that, and the absolute temperature won't be a problem for acrylic, but the temperature cycles are likely to embrittle it. If it was lexan that might be different.

I haven't seen the Microsoft approach to tuner parts before. Use my stuff on YOUR valuable project before I will use it on MY valuable project...
Someone I know is taking their vents off this week anyway to do a mesh conversion, so I'm test fitting it on their car, rather than pop my vents off to find they don't fit perfectly

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Props to creative ingenuity and construction. Not my cup of tea...but still a great idea!
To bad I wasn't local...my rear hatch is bare and you could drop by easily to see the fit. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
For me, I liked your design where there was much more of the acrylic with the vents running front to back instead of side to side.

But I still think it's awesome that you are moving forward with it, once you've got the right fit the design of the vents is probably easy to change. I'd also be willing to test fit. I need to remove my slats to paint my lid to match the car anyway. I've just been putting off that project.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me, I liked your design where there was much more of the acrylic with the vents running front to back instead of side to side.

But I still think it's awesome that you are moving forward with it, once you've got the right fit the design of the vents is probably easy to change. I'd also be willing to test fit. I need to remove my slats to paint my lid to match the car anyway. I've just been putting off that project.
Exactly. Right now, I need to ensure the measurements of the perimeter fit nicely on the cover. From there, I can do any vent design you can think of and it can be cut in a variety of shades (ranging from clear to completely black).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's another picture I forgot to upload

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This... Literally looks like you are holding a shadow.
lol, that's what i thought. I do like the idea though, if it can hold up.
Just a thought, will this allow the same amount of airflow the mesh does? Would that be a problem if it doesn't?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought about that a bit. I would think the airflow is better and more direct than the louvers for sure, but I don't think I could make something as free-flowing as simply having mesh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts