The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a few renderings of this last week, but finally did a more professional mockup on my own car. I took a photo of the hatch up, and one of it down, so in photoshop I got the perfect orientation of the engine bay (I was photoshopping the engine under the glass in previous renderings which weren't as accurate)

I bought spare engine louvers from a forum member to take measurements off of and should have a prototype piece in a couple of weeks. From there, I will likely do a group buy once the fit and finish is perfected.

Would probably use tinted acrylic but could be perfectly clear as well. As noted, there's not a lot to show underneath so I would probably make tinted ones

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Looks good bro. I'll be in for some.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Oh, I got stuff to show...

...so I would want clear. But I have stripes that go under my existing vents so probably won't work. :(

Shame, as my spark plug and injector covers are painted Graphite Grey and matte silver to match my Graphite Grey exterior and matte silver stripes. :sad:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I got stuff to show...

...so I would want clear. But I have stripes that go under my existing vents so probably won't work. :(

Shame, as my spark plug and injector covers are painted Graphite Grey and matte silver to match my Graphite Grey exterior and matte silver stripes. :sad:

Why wouldn't it work? Would be pretty cool to see right thorough where the stripe continues through the engine bay IMO

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think you'll just get more of those annoying questions:

Some guy: "That's got a V8 in there right?"

Elise Owner: Nope

Some guy: "Oh, Turbo charged V6?"

Elise owner: Nope, just a 4 banger.

Some Guy: "It's twin turbo'd right"

Nope, no turbo from the factory

Some Guy looking confused now: "hmm.. it looks fast though, that's too bad"

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I think my largest concern would be heat issues and venting the heat out the top...other than that, pretty cool idea. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for the input. As far as what's in the boot, that's why I'm going with tinted material, although it can be ordered in clear if anyone would prefer. As for venting, there are quite a few slots cut into it which should provide adequate ventilation to the engine bay

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here is the new vent design I'm going with. I think you guys may like this more. It's neat because even if you don't want it to be transparent, you can have it in gloss black with a cool new vent design

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an earlier thread which mimics the lines of the Lamborghini. Unfortunately the angular shape of the glass cover clashes with the curvature of the Elise IMO

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are you going to do any water temp analysis on the car idling and driving?
I will extensively test it when I get it together. I don't foresee any issues as the new design is completely vented, maybe even more so than OEM. My primary concerns are scratching, polished edges, and warping (which, based on other owners who've tried similar ideas, I don't expect any issues with either)

·
'Murrica
66 Posts
I will extensively test it when I get it together. I don't foresee any issues as the new design is completely vented, maybe even more so than OEM. My primary concerns are scratching, polished edges, and warping (which, based on other owners who've tried similar ideas, I don't expect any issues with either)
Yeah that should work out fine, I was just curious. It will just be a matter of how the airflow makes its way out of the engine compartment.

Have you considered using acrylic or polycarbonate instead of glass? It will be much easier to work with, form into shape, and machine. You will also have a much easier ability to polish scratches and you can apply a protective hard coat. Glass will be more resistant to warping, but I don't think you will have an issue with plastics either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that should work out fine, I was just curious. It will just be a matter of how the airflow makes its way out of the engine compartment.

Have you considered using acrylic or polycarbonate instead of glass? It will be much easier to work with, form into shape, and machine. You will also have a much easier ability to polish scratches and you can apply a protective hard coat. Glass will be more resistant to warping, but I don't think you will have an issue with plastics either.
For airflow, heat rises so I think I should be OK. From what I read there's not much "pulling action" in regards to airflow over the engine cover, so I don't think the angled OEM slats are really any advantage.

And yes using tinted acrylic. I was just saying glass in my title so people got the idea that I was making a transparent cover. Polycarbonate looks a bit more expensive so I would have to weigh out the benefits of each. For now, my main priority is fitment and from there I can always play around with different materials, thicknesses, and designs

1 - 20 of 40 Posts