The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
1) Search this forum
2) I think they're about $3k plus?
3) I think RoadDad even tried to put together a group buy at one point?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am going to help you out for a lifetime. When you want to search something, site:lotustalk.com Plexiglass elise hardtop

Substitute the website and search string for what ever you want to look up and where. Much better results than almost any forums search function...

I planned on making and selling these, but the initial investment is very large, and I was not sure I would get my money back, or make enough to be worth the time money and effort...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am going to help you out for a lifetime. When you want to search something, site:lotustalk.com Plexiglass elise hardtop

Substitute the website and search string for what ever you want to look up and where. Much better results than almost any forums search function...

I planned on making and selling these, but the initial investment is very large, and I was not sure I would get my money back, or make enough to be worth the time money and effort...
cool, great to know. learn something new all the time.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I think RoadDad even tried to put together a group buy at one point?
Yep. Been there. Done that. WAY too price prohibitive. Even without customs fees, with the bulk purchase discount it would have run about $4K per top at that point (at that time's exchange rate, etc). Add customs fees and POW BAM ZING! Topped $4K.

It can be had for between $3000-$3800 now. IMO, still way too much $$$$.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I really wish I had the equipment to do this myself, or had a friend with it... But ho chi min... this kind of thing is not cheap to do...

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
1) anyone have one/seen one live and can attest to fitment/quality?

2) group buy?

3) at today's exchange rate, that's $2,600 before transaction fees. If quality was proven, and group buy at €1,800 (10% discount) shipped, I could be convinced.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
There were a couple of threads on this about a year ago. I was VERY interested.

Frankly, at this price point and the fact that it's unproven, I predict they will sell exactly ZERO in the US.

The US distrbutor (on ebay nonetheless) was pitching them. I reached out with some simple questions:

- Can you send more pics and a couple of videos - show it being installed. Also, show a video spraying a hose over it.

- Can you point me to US based owners. Chances are they are on the forum and I may 'know' them or other local forumites can see it in person to attest to this.

The guy pushed back. Bad sign.

I then expressed my feedback about the cost. I get it - expensive to tool and produce, but if the price isn't at a reasonable point (say $1,500) and the market won't bear it, then it's worthless. I asked him if he'd be willing to do some sort of lower rate to get it into the hands of some local owners (mules). Wasn't willing.

This isn't a cupholder. This is a top. The other aftermarket top - the gullwing - had spotty quality and was known for leaking. I'm thinking that people would be extra cautious about a top - especially one that is so pricey.

So, at that price point and the lack of anyone having seen/used one to verify the quality, it's a no go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts