The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOTE: DON'T BUY THIS ONE, go to post #18.

Anyone using a Glowshift oil filter adapter? Any problems with the oil filter sealing?

It's made well, it's less than half the cost of a GReddy, and it has 4 - 1/8" NPT ports so common sensors will screw in without the use of adapters. What I don't like about it is the ID is very close to the ID of the oil filter seal. I'd like to see a little more meat there.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Why are you using this? If you're using it only for oil temperature, you might want to just drill a hole in the pan. Best place to measure temps, and it's one less part you have to buy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've used sandwhich plate adapters before on other cars, including a great product from Canton Racing, and there's nothing particularly complicated about them.

But measuring oil temps in the pan's the right way to go, and there's nothing hard about drilling/tapping a hole or resealing the gasket. If you decide to sell the car or ditch the oil temp. sensor, you can always plug the hole with a bung. It's not as if the part's under load.

In any event, unless you're running forced induction, the guy's who've installed oil temperature sensors have proven that there's no compelling reason to install one. The car doesn't generate high oil temps, even with one cooler under very hard (track) conditions.

My two cents, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evil Twin said:
Why are you using this? If you're using it only for oil temperature, you might want to just drill a hole in the pan.
It's for oil pressure.

·
Registered
888 Posts
MyElise said:
Given the documented history of oil pressure issues with the 2zz I felt it was a compelling reason to install the gauge.
Everyone's got to make their own decisions about these issues, and I'm (really) not trying arguing for argument's sake, but what, exactly, does "documented" mean? I discussed this issue at length with Lotus Motorsports when I first got my car, and unless there's new data, my conclusion then was that oil starvation is only a theoretical problem for cars running very sticky tires on tracks with substantial banking. Lotus Motorsports represented to me that the only documented cases they knew about involved two or three racecars running slicks (not DOT legal r-compounds) on steeply banked ovals running (I think) clockwise. Assuming that's true, and unless there's new data out there, to my mind, that characterization doesn't quite merit being labled "a documented history of oil pressure problems." What do you know that I (apparently) don't? Appreciate your sharing it, whatever it might be. Thanks.

Twin

PS: nice job with your gauge installation!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I overlooked the Glowshift sandwich plate...bought a GReddy. :crazyeyes Bruce, let us know how the Glowshift works out. :up:

Evil Twin's points are reasonable. An oil pressure gauge is arguably needless given the idiot light on the instrument panel and starvation issues not likely to affect the casual tracker, and from what I have read on ET an oil temperature gauge is likely useless in a dual oil cooler Lotus because it has gobs of cooling capacity.

That said, I am installing an oil temperature gauge to monitor adequate engine warm-up and a pressure gauge, well, because I can and for WTF fun observing oil pressure are differing rpms. :D

The benefit of a sandwich plate is that some folks prefer reversible mods or maybe find adding the sandwich plate a less involving mod than adding a fitting to the oil pan.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Fair enough (on all points). Like I said, everyone's got to do what makes them comfortable. And, to be honest, I've installed gauges before simply because I liked the *idea* of having them. To each his/her own. ;)

But has any new evidence emerged that any Elise/Exige owners have suffered oil-starvation related failures? Put another way, is there new data out there to suggest that the rest of us ought to revisit our assumptions that (i) oil starvation under high g-loads, while theoretically possible, is not actually a practical problem for tracked cars and (ii) our oil pump is essentially reliable? MyElise, you've got the gauges and you sound as if your car's seeing a lot of track time, what have you learned?

If there's new data that's compelling, I'll be the first person PM'ing you both for suggestions on how to install a gauge, btw, including advice on the nifty setup in the vent... :bow:

Twin

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just occured to me that from a practical perspective, the cost of buying and installing a gauge like the S.p.a, or dual gauges in a nice console is less but somewhere comparable with simply installing an Accusump unit.

Advantage of dual oil temp/press is seeing (a) when oil is warm and (b) if there is a problem with pressure. But (b) doesn't solve the problem. Maybe skip the gauge and just install the Accusump unit of there is a potential issue?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evil Twin, don't hijack my thread. Go and start your own thread on 2ZZ lubrication system.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry, but it did seem relevant if you hadn't in fact already decided to do this. Really wasn't trying to be rude. I'll say no more. Good luck (fwiw, I've never had a problem with any sandwhich adapter I used, including one that seemed pretty close in terms of the dimensions of the one your looking at). Bye.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DO NOT BUY THIS ADAPTER UNTIL I'M ABLE TO TEST IT FOR FIT. After measuring it, I think that the center fitting might not be long enough to catch the threads on the fitting of the existing cooler sandwich. The fitting on the Greddy extends 3/16" more.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LotusBear said:
Any updates yet bruce?
I haven't gotten a chance to try the Glowshift adapter. But I have another one that I know will fit. It has three 1/8" NPT ports and has a center fitting that is longer so it will reach. It's on ebay for 31 plus 10 shipping. I don't remember the vendor but I will look tonight when I'm home and post it. The advantage this one has over the GReddy is the ports are 1/8" NPT so no adapters are needed for common sensors and it is cheaper than the GReddy. I can take some pics of it if you want but might not be able to get to it tonight.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ebay vendor is purchase4lessnow. The picture in the ad is different than the one shipped so don't let that throw you. Attached is a pic. Note the difference in fitting lengths. The long one comes with the purchase4lessnow and the short one comes with the glowshift. Get the one for the Toyota. It's 3/4 -16.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Just had some gauges put in the Cup car -- used the air vent pods for their location since I don't have any AC. ;)

Used the Greddy adapter and Defi gauges. As for whether they are really necessary -- I'm just one of those fools that likes to be able to monitor relevant engine information.....like water and oil temp, as well as oil pressure. And..... since I'm an old fart with failing vision, I needed BIG gauges that were back-lit all the time. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will also install a sandwich plate on our 111R in the next time to monitor oil pressure and temp.

I have 2 questions :

1.) Is it necessary to drain the oil ? I installed an oil filter adapter on my Nissan 200SX and it was not necessary, because the oil filter is far above the oil level in the oil pan, so there is no difference if there is oil in the pan or not. But I am not sure about the Elise 111R.

So, is it possible and suggestive to remove the oil filter without draining the oil ?

2.) About the sandwich plates mentioned here. Are you sure there are plates which do NOT fit ? Dont forget ... it is not only the length of the center fitting. If it is shorter, it doesnt automatically mean that it is TOO short. It also depends on how deep the center fitting is placed in the sandwich plate.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AndreasW said:
I will also install a sandwich plate on our 111R in the next time to monitor oil pressure and temp.

I have 2 questions :

1.) Is it necessary to drain the oil ? I installed an oil filter adapter on my Nissan 200SX and it was not necessary, because the oil filter is far above the oil level in the oil pan, so there is no difference if there is oil in the pan or not. But I am not sure about the Elise 111R.

So, is it possible and suggestive to remove the oil filter without draining the oil ?

2.) About the sandwich plates mentioned here. Are you sure there are plates which do NOT fit ? Dont forget ... it is not only the length of the center fitting. If it is shorter, it doesnt automatically mean that it is TOO short. It also depends on how deep the center fitting is placed in the sandwich plate.
1. No

2. Yes.

My observations pertain to the Fed Elise. I see you are in Austria and I think you have an oil-water cooler plate and we have and we have air coolers. So I don't know the dimensions of your oil-water plate fitting.

Also, if you plan on putting the temp sensor in the sandwich fitting, I don't think it's a good place. I'm only using the adapter for pressure. On the Fed cars it looks like the oil temp reading you get would be downstream of the coolers once the thermostat is open. I'm saying that by visually looking at the sandwich for the cooler lines. I haven't had one off and apart with the thermostat removed so I can tell what the actual flow path is. So the pan is probably a better place to monitor oil temp.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Bruce,

Did you ever get your gauges in? If so, what oil temps are you seeing?

Anyone else with gauges feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Jack - love the Defi gauges, very nice!

I've no idea if it'll fit the Toyota pan, but the Evo IX MR comes from the factory with a stainless drain plug that has a temp sensor built into it. Might be worth looking into as a possible way to measure at the pan without modifying it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts