The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Go Karts in Chicago area?

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  marius880 
#1 ·
hey guys,
I would love to go karting this winter season. With the snow in chicago, and our cars put away, i want to still be able to race. Do you guys have a preferred location where you like to race? it can be up to 1 hr away from the loop.
Can someone post some of the locations where you raced before? pros and cons, why you like that facility better over the others. ---Please post name and town where that facility is.
I've never been karting (well besides the Wisconsin dells stuff lol) and would love to finally engage in a new hobby :shift: ( as far as my wife knows, i am only doing this to help me be a better lotus driver :thwack:)

does anyone want to go with me? can we arrange a day, maybe a few other out there would love to join, do a group thing? but in the near future, like next month. If not its ok, i still want to do it this winter.

#7 ·
There are the two CIR places, chicagoindoorracing.com/
the place in melrose park, mpgrandprix.com/
and the place in Bridgeview, chicagoracefactory.com/

Ive been to all 3, (well when I went to Melrose, but couldnt race, the roof was leaking) and CIR was the nicest and most professionally run, but also most expensive.

Send a message to Ken if he doesnt chime in, he know more about this than anyone.

#8 ·
does anyone want to go to any of these? maybe we can organize something? Dlamps57, its me and you for now, anyone else wants to go? we can come up with a date that works for everybody :)

i have to check some of these places out thanks for the feedback...

#9 ·
I'm partial to CIR. Not saying the other locations aren't good, CIR is just a better fit for where I am in life and the experience I'm looking for as I kart. That said, a couple thoughts. I would be happy to coordinate something like we did with this group a couple years ago. I offered a short classroom which was an abbreviated presentation of what I do for out track events before everyone went out karting. Could do that again or skip the classroom if most of you have already seen it and would be bored to tears. Also, for those looking for a quick fix; there may be the opportunity to run the combined course at CIR Addision this Sunday. Wouldn't be anything super organized from my end, just an arrive and drive. I should know by the end of the day and can post something back here (timing/pricing) if there's interest.

#10 ·
I was at the Chicago Indoor Racing a few months back. I didn't like the size of the track I was on. It was ~16 second laps with 6 turns if I remember it correctly. It was also on a very hot day and they make you ware the full racing suit. Even with those issues it was great. :)

#14 ·
Just confirmed with Brian at CIR, they will be running the combined full track Sunday at Addison. Offered to do a special of 7 races for $70 (if you don't already have a membership you'll need to get that squared away as well). A group of us is getting together around 12:30, rumor has it that MotoBob is in town and will be out to play as well. You can call anytime after Saturday at 10:00 to reserve your sessions, (630) 433-3700.

#15 ·
This might be a nice solution for anyone looking to competitively kart but in a fun enviornment on a monthly basis. Hillbilly Racing;
http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com/Download/?Document=Hillbilly Entry Form
Been doing this for 3-4 years now, great group. A bunch of track rats get together once a month on Sunday mornings at alternating CIR locations (Addison & Buffalo Grove) during 5 months of the off-season to drive fast. You buy in up front and depending on the number of participants we'll run either 1 hour enduros with 2 person teams or 1 ½ hour enduros with 3 person teams. We've historically finished the series with an extended race. Participants are divided into 2 groups depending on historical lap times and a random draw pairs up new teams each week. Nice thing about that is if you're new to this you will be paired up each week with a new more experienced driver who will be anxious to tell you everything they know about getting around the track quickly for the sake of the team. It provides an unbelievably good opportunity to learn a lot very quickly.

#16 ·
The Melrose Park track is definitely bigger than either of the CIR tracks (I think even bigger than when CIR combines their courses at either of their facilities) but I really didn't like how there was very little grip at Melrose Park. Not sure if it was the surface or the tires but it felt like you couldn't pull nearly as much lateral g.

I haven't been to Melrose Park in 3 years though so it might be different now.

#17 · (Edited)
The other thing about MPGP is that there is more variance between the karts. To be fair this happens at CIR as well, but the difference between the weakest kart and the strongest kart is definitely bigger at MPGP than it is at CIR. Only been to CRF once so can't really comment on them.

CIR has way better food if you end up eating there. Also, if people showed up on a tuesday they run these specials currently:

"We've made $10 Tuesdays even better. Make a normally mundane evening the best night of your week!

$10 Arrive & Drives
$10 Two-topping Pizzas in our Restaurant
Had pizza last week? Have a $10 Burger and Beer, instead!
$10 Bucket of Domestic Beer
In the mood for something different? Try $10 CyberSport. For groups of 6 or more, CyberSport is $10 per person for half-hour court time, every Tuesday!"

#18 ·
Just received this update for Sunday if anyone is interested:

We invite you to join us for some Arrive and Drive Races on Track 8 this Sunday, October 28 at the Addison facility.* We are excited to race with Moto Bob during his visit to Chicago while also celebrating my send-off to Florida!* Here are the details:
*-********* Call (630) 433-3700 after 10am Sunday to reserve your spot
-********* Reference the Moto Bob/B Dopp/Hillbilly races
-********* We plan to arrive by 12:30pm (your arrival will depend on your race times)
-********* Arrive and Drive Races will start around 1pm
-********* We plan to race a 7 for $70 (make sure your membership is current!)
*Again, please be sure to call Sunday morning to make your official reservation

This should be a fun, fast group. If you're not looking to do 7 races, Jeff's suggestion above for a Tuesday night would be a smart idea, cheap track time and discounted food... Not a bad combination!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.