The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? Here's the wierd part - it only happens when it's hot outside. Temps were in the 80's and it happens. Yesterday it was cooler and it didn't happen. When it does happen it sounds like the car is falling apart at the seams. It can be downright scary sometimes.

Here's a short clip. I am not going over any bumps - just minor undulations in the road. The sound seems to come from the passenger side front.
Noise

·
Registered
836 Posts
Strange :shrug:
I would take of the right front tire and take a looksie, could be suspension related :shrug:

Please let us know what you find

:shift:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I think it's your bowels old man :D.

All lugs torqued correctly?
Are you just coasting there or braking at all?
Any vibration in the steering wheel?

I get an intermittent clunk from the passenger front when it's warm out but only when backing up. Service tech had no answer at all for it and couldn't find anything wrong. Was then told TADTS.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I jacked her up to check for wheel play and there is none. All of the wheel well fasteners are in place too.

I'm coasting with the clutch in to try to capture the noise as best I could, but it makes the noise under all conditions (I haven't tried going backwards though).

Yesterday I drove up to Elkhart Lake and it didn't make the sound although on the way home it started to squeek. Lasted for about 1/2 hour and was starting to drive me nuts when it stopped squeeking as suddenly as it started.:shrug:

It's hot again today and racing is over so it's time to go see what it will do today.

Also, I'm not sure if it just does it only at low speeds or if the higher ambient noise as speed is drowning it out. Sometimes I feel it through the steering wheel, but not always. It sounds like the access panels are loose and are banging around but they're not.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I once had somethings similar - but it would kick in >50 mph.
A stone had lodged between the diffurser and teh other plate.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Wish I had more to add, but 'it only happens when it's hot outside. Temps were in the 80's and it happens.' Hot?!? That's like almost all year down here! :p

BTW, I used to live up there.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out today. It took about 45 minutes for it to heat up (my garage stays quite a bit cooler than outside ambient).

The noise came back but was not as severe as the other day. It's just a minor noise now rather than "Oh my God, this thing's falling apart!"

Today it sounded kind of like the front shock had gotten a bit sticky, but pushing down on the front fender to depress the shock didn't yield the same sound.

After it cools down I'll see if all the undercarriage screws are snug. There's no way I'm laying on that hotter than balls driveway now and the garage is infested with skeeters! Maybe squirt some oil on the shock too I suppose.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spritzed down right front suspension components with silicon lubricrant and I thought it went away , but no!
Still though, it is much less obnoxious than it was.
Maybe it wil go away on its own...............AAARRRTGHGGHGH:panic:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Suspension bushings maybe??? But it sounds like the strut tops to me or something is stuck under there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Exact same noise on mine

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? Here's the wierd part - it only happens when it's hot outside. Temps were in the 80's and it happens. Yesterday it was cooler and it didn't happen. When it does happen it sounds like the car is falling apart at the seams. It can be downright scary sometimes.
I am not going over any bumps - just minor undulations in the road.
Left home the other day and made a few stops. Temp was probably in low 80's. Started back home and the noise was so bad I considered having it towed home! I took it out this afternoon and the noise is barely there. It sounded exactly like your video and under the same conditions. Minor undulations in the road. Have you figured it out yet? :eek:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
...it sounds like the strut tops to me

+1... that was my first thought. exact same sound as when i installed suspension on my last car and didn't tighten down the nut on the top of the strut enough.

but then again, you said it only happens when its hot out???

strange :shrug:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you had the rack replaced? Mine had a similar noise (not quite as loud) but sounded real clunky even on a semi smooth road. You couldnt really feel it in the steering wheel but you could feel it in the forward part of the floor because that is where the rack attached to the car. Steering still felt fairly tight. The 2005s used an older rack design. You might try searching the forrum for rack and pinnion and see if any of the threads sound like yours. I seem to remember mine being somewhat related to temp as well. As it got warmer it was louder.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sure it's not just your passenger side window? Could be that you lower your windows when it's hot outside and that's what's making all the noise... Happened to me and it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side foot well area. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I got a passenger in there with me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is definitely in the suspension. I have considered the steering rack. I took it out for another short drive and can't get the awful sound to come back. Will take a longer drive and let it get good and warm and see what happens.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Have you installed a HID conversion? I had a very similar sound with mine, under similar (only when it got HOT) conditions, and it turned out that where I had drilled and zip-tied the ballast to the inner-fender (oil-cooler) divider, under high-temps the ties seemed to expand apparently JUST ENOUGH to allow the ballast to "bounce around" just a bit on gentle undulations like your video seems to show you driving over as well. I took a swatch of velcro that I added under it, re-zipped it back down, and voila! ...No problems or noises ever since.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only solution to the original noise is to turn the music up. The noise still comes and goes, but rarely as loud as in the video.

A new noise surfaced about a week ago. Sounds like sheet metal banging when I hit a bump. Thought it was the license plate holder. Stupid me finally remembered "hey I got aluminum plates all over on the bottom!" I took a peek and sure enough somehow the two Allen head bolts had backed out about 1/4"!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Recently developed a very loud, intolerable, squeak that seemed to be coming from under the dash. Couldn't find any loose panels so lube'd the front suspension bushings as a last resort and happened to find a rock caught between the right side lower A-arm (the rearward joint) and the adjacent aluminum panel. The noise is now gone, I'm certain it was the rock, even though this experiment had two variables!
I live at the end of a half-mile gravel road, which is covered with five-eights minus crushed rock........those sharp little guys end up everywhere.
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Apart from checking all suspension fasteners, I'd check the wheel well liner...if loose, there's a chance it could make a rattle sound like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts