The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting's All! One thing has led to another; now i have money down on a 2012
Evora S GP car. Has everyone who managed to snag one been happy with the car? And any special challenges moving from a moderately modified STi to Mid-engine RWD?

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Greeting's All! One thing has led to another; now i have money down on a 2012
Evora S GP car. Has everyone who managed to snag one been happy with the car? And any special challenges moving from a moderately modified STi to Mid-engine RWD?
It rotates more easily. Get some serious front sway bar on it ( I have the Blackwatch Racing Hardcore SCCA Super Stock bar) and adjust it to suit you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have both STI and exige

STI feels faster from stand still and its my errand car if I need to pick up something from the store and for winter... nothing gets any better than an sti in snow

Cornering wise...
You slow down for corner in an STI then gun it after the corner...
for mid engine... you actually give it more gas to rotate the car through corner...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I have both STI and exige

STI feels faster from stand still and its my errand car if I need to pick up something from the store and for winter... nothing gets any better than an sti in snow
If (heaven forefend) anything ever would happen to my plastic Saturn Ion 2.4 5-speed, I'd go to an STI for a daily driver and rainy-day autocrosser. For now, when things get rough in the winter, it's the 3/4-ton 4x4 Suburban, and the Elise goes autocrossing in all (non-salt-season) weather.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Maybe I am missing the boat, but a throttle lift tends to encourage a rotate in a corner too (It just requires a fast stab on the throttle to stop the rotation). Hitting the throttle in a turn seems to encourage something more akin to a drift, perhaps I am splitting hairs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My experience going into corner with speed with stock tires - very simplified mid corner reaction

Steady throttle = understeer
Gradual Increase throttle = neutral
off throttle= oversteer or easily will become snap over steer be ready to counter steer and back on gas

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I am not sure of any sway bar aftermarket additions for the Evora but I'll be looking forward to hearing how you like it.

--J

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a sti and lotus as well

I agree with everything los said

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
>Maybe I am missing the boat, but a throttle lift tends to encourage a rotate in a corner

Hell, yes.

>(It just requires a fast stab on the throttle to stop the rotation).

And you mean fast. If you don't get it right away, and the spin has begun, more power just makes it worse.

In any case, learn to go to a very quick and very small countersteer as soon as you feel the back going. I find in autocrossing, steady throttle and catlike steering input is the first thing to go to, and is usually enough. It things get really crazy, give up on the run time, toss in the clutch and catch it with the steering.

>Hitting the throttle in a turn seems to encourage something more akin to a drift, perhaps I am splitting hairs.

So far, unless I'm on really slippery surface, more power has always meant more understeer, regardless of what alignment, tires, or front sway bar I'm running.

My car is a stock 2005 Elise, normally-aspirated, now with Hoosier A6 autocross tires and the usual trick adjustable swaybar for autocrossing in SS.

·
Registered
708 Posts
An Elise is certainly different from an STi, but what the heck....so would be a Miata, M-Z3, MINI or Mazdaspeed 3. There are a lot of us Subaru guys here. Do some name compares between here and Nasioc. Heck....my local Lotus dealer sales manager drives an STi. To me, the absolute biggest noticable difference is that the Elise is difficult to get in/out of compared to an STi (or any "normal" car). Really, the rest is just getting used to it.

The technical information here is phenominal. Do some looking at the Uberthread and under the technical topics (esp engine lubrication and engine cooling). The cars have great drivetrains and a lot of the stupidity that Lotus put into engineering is easily fixed with multiple workarounds (oil lines, radiator replacement, clam removal).

·
He's on fire!
3,090 Posts
Put me in the camp that is likely to see understeer on throttle application mid corner. If I give it too much it definitely understeers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Having a stock 06 sti and lotus, the lotus is more engaging. The lotus steering of course has more feedback and weight. It is also a smaller diameter steering wheel. The suspension is even a little harder and rattles more over bumps than the sti. If you drive it for some time then go back to the sti, the sti's steering wheel feels like you're driving a semi. Large and loose.

If you replace the sti with the lotus, then you'll miss of course the torque, ease of driving everyday not having to watch the road for every pothole, ease of just hopping in and going to the store, larger size to carry things, and easier to see all around you, it is after all a sedan. The lotus has a lot more engine/exhaust sound and is a lot of fun reving and hearing/feeling the 2nd cam kick in. With the lotus youll visit the upper rpms more often. The sti pulls from lower rpms, so it doesn't see the higher rpms as much.Lotus feels like a true sports car with a cockpit feel.

Lotus is a lot of fun when you're in the mood for it. Coming home from a long day of work, I'd rather be in the sti. The lotus demands more and tires you out more.

As for AWD vs mid engine...I'm more of a hulligan with the sti (esp. in the rain) which does understeer on the stock suspension. I respect the lotus and know it'll bite me back. I don't track nor autox. So spirited driving in the city only. With the lotus I brake before a turn making sure not to enter faster than I can handle. I never lift off throttle mid turn nor brake mid turn.

this is a good read
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221/midengined-cars-driving-691/

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
The Elise is the best road-driving car I have ever owned.

Niggle: The steering is s-l-o-w compared to my 1970 Europa.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have both STi and have a work-in-progress swap into an Elise. Subscribed so I can keep track of more input from others!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've had to relearn the way I drive with the Elise. The first high speed course I did I spun it around several times.
Also tough to run the thing at so high an rpm too, I'm used to running diesels that redline at 3-4k rpm.

I still haven't completely figured out what I'm doing wrong yet.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Learn how to left foot brake if you haven't already. I find it crucial to be able to get on the gas as soon as possible because I like to brake as deep as possible.... which always means a bit of trail braking... which means rotation that needs to be stopped at a precise moment that I'm not able to hit as well if I right foot brake.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I came for a highly modified 06 STi before getting the Lotus. The power of the Lotus(granted I have an Elise) is disappointing, it feels slow. But the head turns looking a the car and the corners make it all worth while. If I were to do it again I would still do just what I did, up and sell my STi one day and buy a lotus a few days later, but I would get a supercharged, either factor or aftermarket if buying an elise or Exige but I have no idea what the Evora will be like, hope to read again once you get it.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Learn how to left foot brake if you haven't already. I find it crucial to be able to get on the gas as soon as possible because I like to brake as deep as possible.... which always means a bit of trail braking... which means rotation that needs to be stopped at a precise moment that I'm not able to hit as well if I right foot brake.
I'd love to listen in on you debating this with Jackie Stewart.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I completely agree. My WRX was an 03 with a 2.5L STI block and 2.0L heads, ran it at 20-22psi boost. Never dyno'd it, but it hauled the mail.

Once I get a bit of spare $$ I'm putting a blower on the Elise for that reason. Been a several times when I'm standing on the gas pedal saying COME ON COME ON COME ON!

I came for a highly modified 06 STi before getting the Lotus. The power of the Lotus(granted I have an Elise) is disappointing, it feels slow. But the head turns looking a the car and the corners make it all worth while. If I were to do it again I would still do just what I did, up and sell my STi one day and buy a lotus a few days later, but I would get a supercharged, either factor or aftermarket if buying an elise or Exige but I have no idea what the Evora will be like, hope to read again once you get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts