The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to rekindle my relationship with the car, I am going to take the 1 day sprint kart class at Jim Hall Karting in Oxnard this saturday. I haven't seen a racetrack since May 2008, and I am beginning to wonder if keeping a lotus plugged in the garage is worth it. It's like a plugin hybrid...if I leave the battery not charged for 5 days, it won't run.

Anyway, for the price of rear tires, i figured it would be fun to try karting.

I've heard good things from people around elisetalk...hopefully they're right.

At least I'll drive the elise to Oxnard, if it will start...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Please report back, I've set that (doing the Jim Hall karting school) as a goal for myself this year, so I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences there.

Have fun ! :shift:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Karting FTW!!! :coolnana:

Karting is ridiculously fun. If they're putting you in a TAG or a shifter, you're going to have an eye-opening experience. It's a physically demanding sport. Bring some ibuprofen-you're going to have some wonderfully sore muscles by the end of the day.

Have fun!

Tom

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i'm also going karting this weekend :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reactions to karting

wow, karting is fun. I have reservations about having to do a whole day of school for anyone who has track experience, but the actual experience of karting is amazing.

Everything happens so fast, and even the little sprint karts feel superfast and responsive. I can see how this is so valuable in making you a faster driver. The onramps in the elise afterwards were in slow motion, and the car itself felt like a buick in comparison.

The major difference in technique, and this has been mentioned here before, is the concept of trailbraking all the way to the apex. It makes me wonder if I can do this in the elise on a regular track. Some of the racers they say they do this in their open-wheeled race cars. Up to now, I have been threshold braking and then transitioning to throttle well before the apex, so that I am full throttle as a pass the apex...i thought that was faster. Anyway, they told me I was "overslowing".

My fastest time on the "B" track was 38.97. The racers are in the mid 35s. I am going back, at least for lapping...

·
Registered
356 Posts
>>wow, karting is fun.

Its great fun, I am doing a league here in boston in f1-boston, they are not shifter karts, but i can tell you 150 laps a race night, 45 minutes of racing really takes a toll on my arms.

I look at my lap time print outs,, they look good for the first 20 minutes, then the following 20 they start to go down as I struggle with my arms and trying to turn..., towards the end of the race i feel like i have no power...

I wonder if there is a exercise method to improve steering power in arms for endurance formats:) The best exercise so far I figured out is using a racing sim + logitech g25 with rfactor for like a 1hr everyday to improve endurance :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts