The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im going on vacation for two weeks and was planning to fully charge the battery with a tender before i left. Just wondering if the battery will still be good to start the car when i come back and not die on me, thanks!
So is two weeks pushing it? I usually start my car and drive her on the weeknds:UK:

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Te best option would be to leave it with a trusted forum member like me!:D It does depend a lot on your battery though. I just had two major surgeries. First one I left it for three weeks and it started right up. Second time it sat for a month and I had to charge it to get her going. And I do have the Cobra alarm active. I think the second time it was just a matter of surgeries being back to back. If I had driven her more than twice in between it should have been ok. But I do hear of others having issues in shorter time frames.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
darn someone else beat me to it... I was going to take it! This makes me think of getting a battery tender, comparator, voltage divider and relay.... anyone see where i am going with this? EE anyone?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Te best option would be to leave it with a trusted forum member like me!:D It does depend a lot on your battery though. I just had two major surgeries. First one I left it for three weeks and it started right up. Second time it sat for a month and I had to charge it to get her going. And I do have the Cobra alarm active. I think the second time it was just a matter of surgeries being back to back. If I had driven her more than twice in between it should have been ok. But I do hear of others having issues in shorter time frames.
so do you think its the alarm is the culprit for the second time, but a month is pretty long time. Whenever i go long than 3 weeks i put on her on the battery tender.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
darn someone else beat me to it... I was going to take it! This makes me think of getting a battery tender, comparator, voltage divider and relay.... anyone see where i am going with this? EE anyone?
You should get the battery tender Jr float charger. Love mines!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just disconnect the battery. I leave the 10mm wrench in there with the tool kit supplied by lotus. Takes a minute at best. Mind you, I don't leave the battery cover on and I use and Odyssey PC625.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
so do you think its the alarm is the culprit for the second time, but a month is pretty long time. Whenever i go long than 3 weeks i put on her on the battery tender.
I believe most of the dead or weak battery issues in our Lotuses are caused by the alarm.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Battery Tender jr at Ace Hardware

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Agree with OTOmatic. Why not just disconnect the battery? Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Just remember to turn the alarm OFF before disconnecting the battery or your neighbors may end up hating you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
** NO ** It may not be ok. Mine was not - in only 2 weeks it was dead. I now keep it on a battery minder - and love it. Perfect.

Pick up one of these: BatteryMINDer Plus 12 Volt 1.3 Amp Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

And a 12 Volt Cigarette Plug Adapter: 12 Volt Cigarette Plug Adapter: BatteryMart.com

The ones they sell at walmart are junk. The battery tender jr. I've heard mixed reviews on - some people swear by them, others have problems (a forum search will give you more). I also picked up a long extension cord for mine, and just leave it on all the time. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have killed 2 batteries on my 2008 from not driving for just a few weeks. If you have electric power then get a tender. If not, either disconnect or get a simple battery cutoff switch. Sector 111 sells one that works great. I got a small gel racing battery and the cutoff switch and I just turn the dial when I get out and turn in back on when I want to drive it. Mine sometimes sits for a few weeks in an underground parking structure without electrical access and this solution has worked great.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm wondering if you misunderstand how a battery tender works. Your idea sounds reasonable for a battery charger but a battery tender uses either a microprocessor or a Unitrode UC3906 to intelligently charge the battery based on the state of charge, based on both voltage and current.

In any case, if I were leaving the Lotus somewhere where I could not keep it on a battery tender for 2 weeks (say an airport), I would install a battery kill switch and keep a dry cell jumper in the trunk.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
tenderize it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Will definitely NOT work when you get back.

Disconnect the battery and leave it on the ground next to the car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm wondering if you misunderstand how a battery tender works. Your idea sounds reasonable for a battery charger but a battery tender uses either a microprocessor or a Unitrode UC3906 to intelligently charge the battery based on the state of charge, based on both voltage and current.

In any case, if I were leaving the Lotus somewhere where I could not keep it on a battery tender for 2 weeks (say an airport), I would install a battery kill switch and keep a dry cell jumper in the trunk.
Ahh, didn't realize there was a difference between a charger and a tender... thanks for clearing that up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts