The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running my Elise at Laguna Seca for the first time with the GGLC next month (can't wait).

Found some old data in the forum, but most was 92db related.

I have an 05, with an aftermarket Super Charger.
Stock headers.
BOE ST-5 exhaust. With Cat still on. (street legal)
Stock intake no snorkel.

Should I be good at 90db or do I need to add a 90 degree pipe on the end?

Thoughts?
BrianM

·
Registered
618 Posts
I want to go...down the road in sausalito....but you may just be ok....worse case let up near the dB meters on the track...always at the higher spots if I remember. Where are you located?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oh usually get one warning first so you can bring a pipe or ease off at right spots. Really they are trying to protect the shackle of homes that surround it....lame in all aspects

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Brian,

Suggest checking with Rob Dietsch at Dietsch Motorsports and/or Jon Vo at TrackSpec. Both have experience with exhausts and sound levels at Laguna.

Just be aware that the only exhaust systems that seem to clear the 90db mark are the stock system (Lotus Stage 1 or Stage 2 won't pass) and the Larini 8.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to go...down the road in sausalito....but you may just be ok....worse case let up near the dB meters on the track...always at the higher spots if I remember. Where are you located?
I'm in So Cal, the OC. I've driven there many times in my Miata but this is the first time in the Lotus. I know exactly where the sound shack is up the hill from turn 5. It's where I was always able to pass the high HP stuff 'cause they were letting up. :grin2:

BrianM

·
Registered
977 Posts
Running my Elise at Laguna Seca for the first time with the GGLC next month (can't wait).

Found some old data in the forum, but most was 92db related.

I have an 05, with an aftermarket Super Charger.
Stock headers.
BOE ST-5 exhaust. With Cat still on. (street legal)
Stock intake no snorkel.

Should I be good at 90db or do I need to add a 90 degree pipe on the end?

Thoughts?
BrianM
At the very least, add a 90 degree elbow. I would suggest picking up a supertrapp and welding it to the elbow, that's what I do. Additionally, you don't need to run with the supertrapp fully capped - I use a couple of nuts between the last ring and the end cap to make the system less restrictive. I've run at LS catless with the sector111 trackpipe with this setup on 90 dB days and never gotten flagged.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My '06 with super charger will pass, but using stock exhaust. When at other tracks, I use a sport cat and QuickSilver exhaust. I've tried to get a sound check at Thunder Hill, but never got any results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah turn 5....closest to the end of the property. .. any slots left on the day? Want to go...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
any slots left on the day? Want to go...
Indifferent -

There's about 65 drivers signed up. Advanced group is nearly sold out. Intermediate group is about 70% capacity and the Novice group at 50%.

Expect (barring any incidents that cause delays) to get 6-7 20 minute sessions during the day (3 in the AM, and 4 in the PM). First car out is at 9:00a and we'll run until the track closes at 5:00. Typically we will have a 20min break for lunch.

That's a lot of seat time for the cost.

More info here:
GOLDEN GATE LOTUS CLUB - GGLC Track Days

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
905 Posts
At the very least, add a 90 degree elbow. I would suggest picking up a supertrapp and welding it to the elbow, that's what I do. Additionally, you don't need to run with the supertrapp fully capped - I use a couple of nuts between the last ring and the end cap to make the system less restrictive. I've run at LS catless with the sector111 trackpipe with this setup on 90 dB days and never gotten flagged.
This.

Mornings are the worst for making sound, but maybe in July that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very tempted and great price...I just finished a vf2 supercharger install and run a Larini 8 inch pipe....I bet that will be fine. The exit nozzle is not fixed so that can be pointed down....if I am legitimately employed in the next week or so them definitely....Co sult I got now which is fun but it means unemployed lol by definition. So if anyone is looking for a hard core cio or cto let me know lol.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks, 90 degree elbow and Suppertrapp on order...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the above and put on a elbow and supertrapp with extra washers. No flag for sound, BUT The extra back-presser blew my exhaust manifold gasket, half way through the day. Maybe it's the supercharger. Anyway pulled the supertrapp off for the lat session and also no flag :-(

Maybe the guys in the booth already went home. I should have run the first session supertrapp-less just to see but did not want to be targeted.

YMMV,
Brian

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I did the above and put on a elbow and supertrapp with extra washers. No flag for sound, BUT The extra back-presser blew my exhaust manifold gasket, half way through the day. Maybe it's the supercharger. Anyway pulled the supertrapp off for the lat session and also no flag :-(

Maybe the guys in the booth already went home. I should have run the first session supertrapp-less just to see but did not want to be targeted.

YMMV,
Brian
Brian,

Great to have you join us! Hope you enjoyed the day.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian,

Great to have you join us! Hope you enjoyed the day.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Had a great time! Super nice people and courteous track-mates.

Other track day folks can take lesions from you guys. I will be back.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Weird that you blew your exhaust manifold gasket from the back pressure, which supertrapp did you buy?

I'm gonna be the guy that says don't run the last session at full volume. Laguna Seca gets super pissed when people say "f*ck it" for the last session with sound. The neighbors complain and lobby for even lower sound limits, and the rest of us get screwed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello. Will the BOE ST-5 pass sound on a 90dB day without the elbow? I currently run this muffler with a decat and stock header, but I am considering a header upgrade in the future. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts