The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 05 chrome orange elise is finally going to get the kind of "streetable" power and reliability it deserves!!!!

bought a 2GR-FE 2007 camry engine that we ended up not needing....i decided to try and bolt up my extra elise tranny to it....and what do you know.....it bolts up.....even looks like the elise flywheel and clutch bolts up too.....sweeeet!!!!!:nanner2::D

just so you know the motor makes 268hp and 248ft lbs...and only weighs 34 pounds more than the 4 cylinder....

and toyota has a new TRD supercharged camry coming out that makes 329hp with the same engine just with a supercharger added to it...so when i can get my hands on it i will get it on there too.....

i personally think that this will be a great swap for the car....and yes...i will be doing the swap myself.....it wont be too hard.....ive done many strange swaps and this is basically a v6 mr2 swap with a newer designed engine....no biggie....

What do you guys think???:panic::nanner2:

·
Registered
992 Posts
My 05 chrome orange elise is finally going to get the kind of "streetable" power and reliability it deserves!!!!

bought a 2GR-FE 2007 camry engine that we ended up not needing....i decided to try and bolt up my extra elise tranny to it....and what do you know.....it bolts up.....even looks like the elise flywheel and clutch bolts up too.....sweeeet!!!!!:nanner2::D

just so you know the motor makes 268hp and 248ft lbs...and only weighs 34 pounds more than the 4 cylinder....

and toyota has a new TRD supercharged camry coming out that makes 329hp with the same engine just with a supercharger added to it...so when i can get my hands on it i will get it on there too.....

i personally think that this will be a great swap for the car....and yes...i will be doing the swap myself.....it wont be too hard.....ive done many strange swaps and this is basically a v6 mr2 swap with a newer designed engine....no biggie....

What do you guys think???:panic::nanner2:
what do i think? umm, well considering that this is my plan too, i think it's ideal. Scheduling mine for after the race season... i dont see the downside. I checked out the 3.0 L engine the most, lightweight too. Been shopping online.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the power doesnt seem to be there on the 3.0 and 3.3 engines though......not enough for me at least....and some of the older blocks are iron not aluminum.....but i also havent researched much on them either.....so i could be wrong....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So what are your thoughts on how it will change the driving charecteristics of the car? More torque, lower redline, etc? I know this plays directly to when you say streetable and reliable power.

Sounds like a sweet project and I look forward to hearing more about it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what are your thoughts on how it will change the driving charecteristics of the car? More torque, lower redline, etc?

Sounds like a sweet project and I look forward to hearing more about it.
dont really know.....but ill let you know!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
That is sweet! It will fit in the engine bay??? :)
+1. Granted, if it's a race car, I supposed there's not much need for a boot, but I wonder if you'd have to move the whole rear subframe backwards to make it fit.

I love the concept though. now get to work & bring your camera. My amusement awaits. :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
i'd be most worried about the gearing being too short for the lower redline of the v6. If the redline is below 7500rpm, then you'll probably be well into 3rd gear before 60mph.

Otherwise, if the gearing is right, this could be an amazing swap!

Go for it! :coolnana:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1. Granted, if it's a race car, I supposed there's not much need for a boot, but I wonder if you'd have to move the whole rear subframe backwards to make it fit.

I love the concept though. now get to work & bring your camera. My amusement awaits. :D
might have to make the trunk smaller.....(get an exige rear?) other than that it sits the same as the 2zz.... the motor is almost a direct fit.....try looking at all the v6 mr2's.....ive done a few of them....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'd be most worried about the gearing being too short for the lower redline of the v6. If the redline is below 7500rpm, then you'll probably be well into 3rd gear before 60mph.

Otherwise, if the gearing is right, this could be an amazing swap!

Go for it! :coolnana:
yea that might be an issue....the redline is right at 7,000 but the motor can take 8,000rpm revs....

·
Registered
992 Posts
3,500 miles i bought for 1,500 with harness and computer, key and ignition switch...
funny, but u came up with most of the same conclusions i did...i will actually miss the hi rev of the stock engine, but only until i think about another 100+ ft lbs of torque... i'm going crate engine though.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Pardon my ignorance guys, but if this is using the Elise transmission, wouldn't the shorter gear ratios be a negative because the motor doesn't rev as high? So for example, 1st gear in an Elise may be 46 mph @ 8500 RPM, but with this motor it may be 35mph @ 7000 RPM.

Is that correct or not? Wouldn't you need to widen the gear ratios here?

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
I think you're going to spend too much money getting a foreign engine into your car, getting a foreign shifter setup custom fitted to your Lotus, getting custom motor mounts to house the engine, getting custom ECU wiring to make the engine work, adding weight to the rear, throwing off the overall balance of the car that first came with a 2zz, and absolutely KILL your resale value...

For the money...you can just get a stroked and piper stage 2 cammed Garrett GT28 turbo setup on a standalone ECU tune...and have money leftover to put towards suspension instead of all that custom work...

The stroker, piper stage 2 cams, and a small turbo will cover your low-midrange torque needs...why mess with what Lotus done with the car and swap in a foreign engine?

But regardless of how much I think (and can predict) this being a costly project...good luck doing all that work for an extra 2 cylinders. :) I'm sure it will be a great project when it's all said and done with, especially with a TRD supercharger.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
And what manual transmission is supposed to bolt up to this thing again???

·
Registered
992 Posts
Pardon my ignorance guys, but if this is using the Elise transmission, wouldn't the shorter gear ratios be a negative because the motor doesn't rev as high? So for example, 1st gear in an Elise may be 46 mph @ 8500 RPM, but with this motor it may be 35mph @ 7000 RPM.

Is that correct or not? Wouldn't you need to widen the gear ratios here?
thats my assumption... i was planning for a change to the gearing.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Guy who has never done actual engine work (besides a celica intake) and just spends time "bench building" on the internet (my new term for the "engine building" equivelent of "bench racers" who never get their nose out of inflated mag articles long enough to actually drive something on the road) questions guy who has done much more extreme swaps like the Corvette engine and drivetrain into a Civic hatch and proceeds to dish advice. The irony gives me great amusement.

Sounds like an awesome idea and a realistic potentially fairly well matched swap. Certainly an interesting project if nothing else. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts