1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I like it! Clean looks.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Nice. I have long been of the opinion that the wings on the Esprit were getting progressively more bizarre.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Nooooooooo!!! Don't do it 😯😢😫.

Just kidding...it does look nice, but then it's hard for an Esprit to look otherwise. Just keep your speed down, remember you now have less stability and downforce. 😉

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Just keep your speed down, remember you now have less stability and downforce. 😉
NoNoNoooo.

Our wingless Esprit always felt secure on the track at 130+ MPH. 👍 💪

LEAVE THE WING OFF. The clean lines of the car look GREAT! :love:

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Our wingless Esprit always felt secure on the track at 130+ MPH. 👍 💪
If you're only going 130 mph it's probably ok. I've found that with the wing installed 145 mph is perfectly stable. 👍😆

There's a reason that race cars have wings. 😁

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I have been thinking if I end up tracking often at Road Atlanta I will re-install or go with a larger wing. Have you seen the 350 style wing that the guy is selling on Ebay $$$ but looks effective.

The tracks I will more likely visit have much lower speeds and I think a wing will just be extra weight and drag.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
yeah I have been thinking if I end up tracking often at Road Atlanta I will re-install or go with a larger wing. Have you seen the 350 style wing that the guy is selling on Ebay $$$ but looks effective.

The tracks I will more likely visit have much lower speeds and I think a wing will just be extra weight and drag.
Sweet! Love the carbon.

Drag tradeoff is definitely a consideration, which is why teams spend big bucks on wind tunnel time. The owner of this beauty said it has so much downforce that it measurably knocks down his top straightaway speed a bit...to the point he's thought about removing the diffuser. Think I read somewhere the car is rated about 450kg downforce. On track it doesn't appear to slow down much for corners 😊.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like so much fun. Wow ~1000 lbs of down force the whole car probably does not weigh a lot more than that. Which series is that car, what power plant?

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Caterham SP300R, joint project with Lola around 2012~2013 timeframe, ~1200lb dry. Ford Duratec 2L, supercharged, ~300hp, believe it's based on a Mazda design.

If you meant which race series, this was an SCCA club race. He was the only entry in PX class, but there was some debate that it should have been classed in P1 or P2. I got the impression it was possibly the first time they'd seen one, maybe it will get sorted out over time. But there are other series it could run, including vintage.

Reactions: Erik L

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK going to say it - I love my Lotus and I am getting to understand and trust it......but....Not sure I trust it at 130 mph and beyond? Really any of the old sports cars I have played with. The consequences or a tire, bearing, ball joint, suspension arm, shock, chassis outrigger etc. failure are awfully large!

The fact that i think about such things is another reason why I could never have been a pro driver. The few times I have driven the back straight at Road Atlanta in a 1971 Datsun 510 race car (20+ years ago) I remember thinking of nothing but failure toward the end of the straight as the speed and the sound got uncomfortable - not good when you need to be focusing on the braking point. :) 💪

Perhaps enough laps and practice you can control the emotion?

How was the Europa at the end of a long straight? How were your nerves?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, going all "Atwell" on us, huh?
You know I am surprised, over on FB I made a similar post. Fully expecting a decent percentage of people to give me a thumbs down. Nope almost 100 "likes" and zero negative.

Perhaps its the age of people interested in the Esprit. Old guys not as into the wings as younger folk.

It would be interesting to park the Esprit some place with lots of walking traffic, one day with wing, one day without.. Then pole folks on their feeling about the car.

Probably not that much difference, those that noticed would think the owner was a porcupine either way.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
OK going to say it - I love my Lotus and I am getting to understand and trust it......but....Not sure I trust it at 130 mph and beyond? Really any of the old sports cars I have played with. The consequences or a tire, bearing, ball joint, suspension arm, shock, chassis outrigger etc. failure are awfully large!

The fact that i think about such things is another reason why I could never have been a pro driver. The few times I have driven the back straight at Road Atlanta in a 1971 Datsun 510 race car (20+ years ago) I remember thinking of nothing but failure toward the end of the straight as the speed and the sound got uncomfortable - not good when you need to be focusing on the braking point. :) 💪

Perhaps enough laps and practice you can control the emotion?

How was the Europa at the end of a long straight? How were your nerves?
Well I have to say I believe your thought process is very rational and quite prudent. I have toyed with getting another race car (haven't completely ruled it out) but I also have similar concerns as you.

Anecdote: The previous time I saw that Caterham SP owner race he was running a GT1 Corvette. Brutal HP (8500 RPM V8, and oh what a glorious sound 🥰), blisteringly fast, passing everything on the track...right up until his pedal assy failed with uncontrollable full throttle, no brakes, and straight into the tire berm at high speed. Shook up but not hurt, thankfully. He's been racing 48 yrs and knows what he's doing. I give him a lot of credit getting back out there.

Some good advice in this linked thread. See my post #6 for another anecdote I observed last week:

Anyway, I don't recall the Europa having any particular stability issues and I never had a significant failure except for engine bearings due to oil surge (fixed that with an Accusump and baffled pan). Back then I was indestructible (in my mind) and thoughts of component failure were way secondary. Probably helped that I had stripped the car down to parade rest and assembled almost every single nut and bolt (and machined/welded a lot of the parts) myself.

Coincidentally one of my primary nemesis was a 510. Man those things are fast. Suffered a couple body cracks in the turns since he had steel and I had fiberglass.

EDIT: Supposedly James Hunt's nerves were so bad before a race he would sometimes puke in his helmet sitting on the grid. Or maybe it was the hangovers 🥳.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love that article!! Yeah, I dont worry about the car so much as the people who depend on me. In a couple of years it will be less critical, but my fear and will probably go up and my skills go down. Something to be said about driving a slow car fast. A fast car slow can still be unnerving on the long straight!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Thought about getting into F500 as a step, kind of a kart/formula car mashup. But it turns out they are faster than some of the full scale formula cars. Crazy.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I have seen those - they sound like angry bees running around. Not a lot of margin for error there. I have always dreamed of getting a really old Formula Continental (Formula Ford with wings). I always thought I could just do road car stock rebuilds in the garage! Go out and pretend like I was Ayrton Senna. I have a feeling the number of adjustments would be mind boggling. If you could get it dialed in so you had a lot of confidence - would be the key. Driving one of those on a knifes edge would be scary.
FC.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts