The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went GOLD!

So I bought the car with black wheels. Standard wheels, plastidipped black actually. As some of you may know. Black Plastidip looks awesome...until it begins to become dingy, very matte, and dull. Maybe 6 ish months then I hear it's common to see it change in characteristics. I didn't like that it always looked dirty. I also have a black car....so I thought I could give some contrast and a little flare. I wanted to have a bronze-y gold...not in your face gold. You'll see the end result...definitely not bronze but VERY gold. I actually like it!!

I used "Bright Gold Metalizer"

I chose that based on this video.....

I bought the kit from DipYourCar.com (I would buy from them again, for sure).

So cleaning was the worst part. The previous plastidip was very thin, makes removing it a big challenge. The wheels underneath were quite damaged/dinged. Still straight and true...but cosmetically rough....good thing I was gonna slap some rubberized paint on 'em!

I learned that lighter coats are better, and a little spray gun type handle attachment would have been nice to give me a little more comfort.

It was my first attempt at plastidipping...and I would like to do it again sometime because I think I could do a much better job considering what I learned.

The last image is an edited photo taken by my coworker while I stopped by a buddy's garage. Clayton Hooker get's the credit. If you need photos of your car or motorsports event, you can look him up or message me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Looks nice but yes, once this path has begun it will have to be continued. Gold key fob may be in the future, after what's been mentioned already.

And a pack of classic JPS cigarettes of course.

IMG_4004.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts