The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No offense but RALPH! cough! ugh! spit spit. -eek- Gold wheels rarely work in my mind. Pity, because the silver SSRs grow on me daily. I'm not looking forward to putting the stock rims back on. :(

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I love the paint scheme on your wheels Stan. How's the paint holding up? I've heard that powder-coating is more durable but then, I've heard that additives make paint quite durable too.<<<

It's holding up fine...but it's just a quickie concept thing to see if I liked the look. I have had a few chips to touch up over the last 5000 miles, but this is easy with a black paint stick marker. I think I will redo them in high tech extra hard paint or powder next year, same scheme. I may not go with powder coating as some of the satin blacks don't look as nice to me as regular satin black paint. Not as black. Maybe I need to look into it further... I'm hearing that you can keep painted wheels looking new for about 18 months and powder coat about 3 years. It's more difficult to get a polished rim and powder coat as it's harder to mask... so folks seem to powder coat and then machine the lip afterwards. There should be a way to mask I would think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 1:18 scale model of the '72 Emmerson Fitapaldi car from when I was a kid!

Also, I know Mario Andretti personally. He has a soft spot in his heart for Lotus. He had an Esprit back in the late seventies. Michael would "cruise" in the Lotus around the high school before school started. He would then go park it in the garage and walk across the street to school.
I wish I had my car. I'd love to see how Mario likes the Elise. He's had Lamborghini's for a while now. He also has a Z06 and an S-class.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
LITEW8CRAZY said:
I have a 1:18 scale model of the '72 Emmerson Fitapaldi car from when I was a kid!

Also, I know Mario Andretti personally. He has a soft spot in his heart for Lotus. He had an Esprit back in the late seventies. Michael would "cruise" in the Lotus around the high school before school started. He would then go park it in the garage and walk across the street to school.
I wish I had my car. I'd love to see how Mario likes the Elise. He's had Lamborghini's for a while now. He also has a Z06 and an S-class.
Wow... you know Mario Andretti personally! I met him at the LA autoshow a couple of years ago. Got his autograph, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. I wish I could have talked more with him. How do you know him on a personal level? If you don't mind me asking...

Neil

·
Registered
91 Posts
Little Bastard

Don't mind at all.

I know his brother-in-law Larry very well. He runs Andretti Enterprises. They are located in Nazareth, PA where Mario moved from Italy as a child. Mario is great to talk to. He likes to joke around alot and have fun. If he could drive (physically) he'd still be driving. Remember when he was doing "testing" for Mike at Indy two years ago? If he wouldn't have had the accident, he would have driven in the race for sure.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
LITEW8CRAZY said:
Little Bastard

Don't mind at all.

I know his brother-in-law Larry very well. He runs Andretti Enterprises. They are located in Nazareth, PA where Mario moved from Italy as a child. Mario is great to talk to. He likes to joke around alot and have fun. If he could drive (physically) he'd still be driving. Remember when he was doing "testing" for Mike at Indy two years ago? If he wouldn't have had the accident, he would have driven in the race for sure.
Thanks, yeah, I remember that crazy crash... I guess life or God was trying to tell him to stop or take it easy. He was very lucky. He is truly the greatest though. He comes to the LA autoshow every year, I hope to see him again next year. He seemed soo down to earth.

Neil

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Gold wheels can be cool if they veer towards bronze in color. I like the dull bronze wheels you can find on some ralley cars. Ducati also has used this color to great effect on their bikes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.