The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a ways away from being in a position to purchase a Lotus Elise, but I've been fascinated by this car for a long time and am eager to have 1.

My question is, have you ever gone golfing and used your Elise to get to the golf course? I know, I know, golfing is such a small part of life, and if trunk space is an issue for me, I should just look elsewhere, but I'm just curious. Chances are I'll keep my truck if/when I buy an Elise since I don't think the trade-in value will do me much good. I guess I could just set my clubs in the passenger seat since if I'm going golfing there's no f-ing way I could fit another person and 2 sets of clubs in the car with me, but it would be nice to fit my clubs in the trunk so I don't look crazy having my clubs riding shot gun.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You are correct you will not be able to fit the bag and clubs in the trunk of the car, passenger side is your only choice.
You can fit your irons in the trunk when removed from the bag but not your woods or driver.

You can however go golfing with a buddy in a lotus. Just go to a par 3 take both of your irons out and put them in the trunk and
buy 2 little kids golf bags to throw in there too. Walla golfing with a buddy in a Lotus! :clap:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I just lay out a towel on the passenger seat and lay my bag in the floor board and on the seat, no issues. Usually I take the beater Miata to the course though, don't mind door dings from old men in their Lexus's and Benz's as much in that car.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This is what the Elise can hold when you put the (carry) golf bag in the passenger seat (and my avatar shows where you can go with it).

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f96/elisetalk-trip-uk-aug-sept-2007-a-34029/index15.html#post772316

In general, you have the following options:

- forget the regular cart bag
- a driver won't fit in the trunk, but a regular 3 wood will do
- in addition, you can stow away a 'pencil' (4 or 5 inch) bag plus a couple of irons (or hybrids) and a putter

It will be a problem to carry 2 sets of clubs though when you travel with a passenger who is a golfer too. Minimalism is the key and if you think that 14 clubs including a driver are the minimum to play golf you might want to practice some pitching, chipping and putting. :)

Baggage for, say, 10 days and the request of taking the top off will be challenging however. Someone here found a way to let the top fit behind the seats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ditto

A full bag fits quite neatly passenger side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I suppose if I'm going golfing with a buddy I can always make them drive, or if I'm capable I'll keep my truck (great for golfing)

The par 3 course idea is really good. I do enjoy par 3's and will probably end up trying that

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well... you can hold your golf clubs in the boot of an Elise!

I've done it several times. My wifes clubs fit much better than mine, i must admit. She's 5'1", and her shafts are so short they clear with no worries.

The secret is this:
I take all the clubs out of my bag. Using 1-3 clubs at a time, I tuck the irons (head first) behind the battery. Then I push the grips past the opposite corner opening of the boot. I then rotate the clubs to lay in the far back most position of the boot. Obviously, the SW through 5 iron will drop in easily. The 4-3 irons need to be flexed a little bit. I only carry a driver - and I have gotten that into the boot. However, it requires that I put a large amount of bend into the shaft it get it in and out. So the driver stays in the passenger compartment with me.
The bag is the easy part as I bought a small(er) collapsible nylon bag. It only has a plastic ring on the top and bottom which are separated by a wood rod. I am able to pull out the wood rod, and the whole bag drops easily into the boot.

My wifes golf bag will fit in with all the irons but sans woods with out an issue. BUT her clubs are very similar in size and length to junior clubs. I just insert her woods like I do my long irons.

If I take the car this weekend to play golf, I'll attach some pictures.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have put my clubs in the passenger seat on the way to the golf course, which is only a mile from my house. I usually have one of my golfing partners take my clubs and shoes home for me after the round. The reason for that is the I usually get the Elise hand washed while I am Playing:nanner2:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well... you can hold your golf clubs in the boot of an Elise!

I've done it several times. My wifes clubs fit much better than mine, i must admit. She's 5'1", and her shafts are so short they clear with no worries.

The secret is this:
I take all the clubs out of my bag. Using 1-3 clubs at a time, I tuck the irons (head first) behind the battery. Then I push the grips past the opposite corner opening of the boot. I then rotate the clubs to lay in the far back most position of the boot. Obviously, the SW through 5 iron will drop in easily. The 4-3 irons need to be flexed a little bit. I only carry a driver - and I have gotten that into the boot. However, it requires that I put a large amount of bend into the shaft it get it in and out. So the driver stays in the passenger compartment with me.
The bag is the easy part as I bought a small(er) collapsible nylon bag. It only has a plastic ring on the top and bottom which are separated by a wood rod. I am able to pull out the wood rod, and the whole bag drops easily into the boot.

My wifes golf bag will fit in with all the irons but sans woods with out an issue. BUT her clubs are very similar in size and length to junior clubs. I just insert her woods like I do my long irons.

If I take the car this weekend to play golf, I'll attach some pictures.
You're asking for a cracked clam sooner or later putting loose clubs in the trunk. I hope you have a bootie or lay out some towels/packing air pockets against the clam.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Great, are these available in any pro shop like 'Nevada Bob's'? (I will be in the US in June for a week and would like to buy one.)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Bag in the passenger seat - end of story. No problems. Heck, I used to put a bag full of hockey equipment and a stick in the car in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I chain my bag cart to the tow hook on the rear of the car and there are some courses that let me use my Elise instead of a golf cart.

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts